Planned Astronaut Emergency Transportation: The RCS pack.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I want astronauts to be given an innate high max-speed, very low TWR travel method.

Why?

Because if you get killed or get dumped into empty space with no credits or items, with 2km+ sectors, the only way you're going to be able to get going again at all is to have a lucky asteroid encounter or find a planet, which means that you'll need to somehow get there in the first place.

Traveling as a naked astronaut needs to be possible, because otherwise you'll just end up stuck at spawn with no way of getting out into the universe at some point unless you're an established and well educated player.

EDIT::

I think I just figured out what I really want.
    Build "single, unedited core" functionality into astronauts so we don't need to spawn a core to go anywhere. Cuts down on entities, makes astronaut gameplay a lot more enjoyable, makes boarding more possible.

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Build "single, unedited core" functionality into astronauts so we don't need to spawn a core to go anywhere. Cuts down on entities, makes astronaut gameplay a lot more enjoyable, makes boarding more possible.
    Yes. Have all the yes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What about a "call the trade guild for help" button?

though you could always do teleport by respawn option...

Winterhome

Reaction score

though you could always do teleport by respawn option...
    Respawn puts you at a shop stick at 2 2 2, generally without any sorts of extra resources to get moving again, and no access to materials with which to produce a new ship from nothing. Pretty useless, and I touched on it already.

Plus, having a bunch of cores lying around your homebase doesn't help anyone and clutters up servers. It'd be nice if astronauts could get from point A to point B within the same sector in a relatively quick manner so long as they didn't have to do any fancy maneuvering.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Or perhaps we could get taxi or rescue services via the Trading Guild or other NPC faction. ;)

Perhaps the purchase of a distress beacon for our space suits that anybody could home in on, including the bad guys to make it more interesting.
    Interesting in the form of ambushes or pirate raid trickery using the beacon or plain capture/kill by an enemy faction/player.

Reactions: DrTarDIS
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    hmmmmmm

What about a "designated rescue ship"

a special type of ship you leave at your base that can be summoned via a command, and will come straight to you?

Winterhome

Reaction score
    hmmmmmm

What about a "designated rescue ship"

a special type of ship you leave at your base that can be summoned via a command, and will come straight to you?
    What happens if you don't have a base? Or a rescue ship? Technically this is already possible thanks to Fleet AI.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What about a rick and morty style teleport device? like a long range teleporter that will either take you home, or to a really awesome npc station?

It would need a cool down to keep it from being abused.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What about a rick and morty style teleport device? like a long range teleporter that will either take you home, or to a really awesome npc station?

It would need a cool down to keep it from being abused.
    Like and undeathinator? ;)
    [doublepost=1481168148,1481168106][/doublepost]Naturally without killing you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Like and undeathinator? ;)
    [doublepost=1481168148,1481168106][/doublepost]Naturally without killing you.

That goes back to the "teleport by respawn" option.

not very helpful if you are absurdly broke, which apparently is Op's scenario.

Though if you do become super broke, there should be an option where you are invited to join the pirate faction or traders guild in single player.

However if you are broke in single player, then either you are too hard core to admin load a space ship, or have given the pirates crazy pvp blueprints, or just need to git gud.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    You're also ignoring the second benefit, here:

Replacing the functionality of the standalone Core block. People regularly have to spawn cores just to get from one side of their homebase to the other, or get into a ship, which inevitably leads to you having 20+ cores just lying around the base and thus needing to fire a logic swarm array just to do some cleanup work.

Giving astronauts the ability to move like a ship core without any extra blocks attached would fix this instantly as well as give them the ability to set a waypoint to an asteroid sector or planet, thrust in that direction, and go AFK until they reach it, rather than having to hold down the W key for hours upon hours.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I always keep one of my micro shuttles as a filled out blueprint in my pocket. Not perfect but better than floating!

I think some people are too lazy to delete these single cores and they get left. Maybe server owners could have a way to automatically purge such entities on a regular basis or maybe a single core could have a "life expectancy" of about 15 minutes after which time it starts to overheat?

I remember being involved in a similar conversation a few weeks ago and the "distress beacon" idea seemed to be quite popular, especially with the pending NPC update making even single player worlds more busy.

Reaction score
    I think astronauts need to use the same acceleration mechanics as the ship. I mean, no space-faring creature would not use a jetpack or two, right?

Reaction score
    I want astronauts to be given an innate high max-speed, very low TWR travel method.

Why?

Because if you get killed or get dumped into empty space with no credits or items, with 2km+ sectors, the only way you're going to be able to get going again at all is to have a lucky asteroid encounter or find a planet, which means that you'll need to somehow get there in the first place.

Traveling as a naked astronaut needs to be possible, because otherwise you'll just end up stuck at spawn with no way of getting out into the universe at some point unless you're an established and well educated player.

EDIT::

I think I just figured out what I really want.
    I agree, though I remember reading through old suggestions like this one and recall Criss not liking it because it is like space engineers.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    I agree, though I remember reading through old suggestions like this one and recall Criss not liking it because it is like space engineers.
    Might as well get rid of block based building and planets, then, since Spengies has those too.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How about just spawn the astronaut on the nearest planet.
    Then you can craft a factory and from there craft a core. Although, in another post I recommended being able to craft a core as an astronaut the same way we can craft a basic factory. Saves wasting time and resource crafting the factory first.

Reaction score
    You Could always have a tow system like in Universal Combat. Charge Player for the Tow, and they get a free Tow after a certain amount of gameplay time or if they buy a certain amount or volume of items from the trading guild. Or make Starmade RSA(Roadside Assistance), costs either a certain amount of either Credits and/or Faction points to have the TG Tow you to a point of your choice or if at very rock bottom then they Tow you to the last known location of your Faction Home, Or have a Loaner Program, when out of credits and no cores then TG delivers 5 ship cores to your location and on your next purchase at a shop the cost of the 5 ship cores will be deducted along with the cost of original transaction.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    maybe a (Spawn in a random shop with asteroids button so that people dont just appear in the 222 coords and instead can actually have a chance to get asteroids