Asteroid spawn to close and collide

Reaction score
    Hello,
    I noticed that with the new Asteroid shapes they often spawn to close together so they cause collisions.
    This causes massive server (we are running a multiplayer server) performance drops.
    We did reset the universe to make sure all the spawn points are updated to the new system and did not import any sector. Still wen someone is flying around and the load a sector it often happens that there are colliding asteroids which impact the performance severly and often make the server unresponsive.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this or what to do the reduce the issue that it does not happen that often?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Are your sectors big enough?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are the asteroids floating or fixed. If they can move they can run into each other. If there fixed they might not and the shouldn't overlap. There is a server.cfg setting for that.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This does seem to be a problem, have you actually seen asteroids colliding or is it just from server logs? The server I play on will spit out a log file saying the asteroids are overlapping and it locks the server but if I export and move the sector to a remote location they spawn in just fine and are not actually overlapping. Whatever is causing this is crippling entire regions of space on our server because it will lock as soon as they load.

Reaction score
    Well our Server has actually twice the Sector size around 22 Km.
    And Asteroid movement is activated so thet the asteroids can move away from each other if the spawn inside of each other.

And yes we have seen then. If a sector throws the error causing the lag and we Admin warp there we can actually see the asteroids stuck together and then if everything works drift out of each other. If not the server crashes.

We now have set the asteroids to half size. this reduces this but does not get rid of the issue.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I noticed there was a server.cfg setting for asteroid size. I haven't messed with it cause I'm not sure of the scaling?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Good to know we aren't the only ones experiencing this issue..

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I noticed there was a server.cfg setting for asteroid size. I haven't messed with it cause I'm not sure of the scaling?
    Yeah, the scaling description did not make a lot of sense to me either.