Armor technology

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Hello everyone, I just created this post to show some results of a small experiment that I carried out lately. I have been seeing some ways of creating better types of armor vs missiles, and decided to give it a shot by testing them. So, I build these:

As you can see above, I was testing a normal solid 2 layer armor against a hollow 2 layered one.

After I had build them, I created a small missile ship, nothing fancy, and bombarded each with 6. Here's the result.

Now this is funny, because if I compare these hulks (please ignore the large blasts in the center, that is the result of splash damage between the two), you see that the solid armor stayed intact much more, but also allowed blocks behind it to be damaged, while the hollow core simply disintegrated, but did not allow any damage to get by it at all! Just to further explore this theory, I bombarded them with 2 more shots each.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the right one seems to be more damaged, so i guess spaced armour isnt the way to go?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    ^

I don't see it that way at all. What he has made apparent is that while the armor on the left features less damage, it allowed more damage behind the armor than with the air pocket did on the right.

However, that could simply be because of the increased distance (one block/one meter) from the farthest block of armor to the interior, which can be seen on the right.

This is an interesting experiment. Please continue with more, so that we can conclude with a proper result.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that when you place one armor block atop another, they both experience a boost in protection, meaning that the one on the left would have more protection than the separated armor. But I'm not sure if that's the case.

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    Perhaps blocks are necessary in order to transfer splash damage.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This sort of thing is used in real life aswell, i did think about this awhile ago but never bothered to test it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if spaced armor is more effective against missles, but you'll have to do a test where they are further apart so the the splash damage doesnt interfere.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Well, honestly, I think that it's the distance, because there was splash damage going between the ships even though they weren't touching. And the fact that the space between the layers provides 1 extra block of space.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yes you're thinking along the right lines, its basicly more effective because youre detonating the missile further from what you're trying to protect, and common sense will tell you that is a good thing!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Ok, so I just did another test really quick, but this time di them seperetly so as not to transfer splash damage.

Test 1... Solid purple hull, 2 layers:

Initial ship:

Shot 1:

Shot 2:

Test 2... Hollow purple hull, 2 layers:

Initial ship:

Shot 1:

Shot 2:

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    Oh, well in this case it seems that splash damage can be transferred without blocks. The distance from the primary detonation is what reduces the damage done to the second layer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    From here, it looks like both end shots ended with the same result.

It would be cool if we had different kinds of armor, like an anti-missile armor, anti-laser armor, etc. But that's an idea for the Suggestion forums, I suppose.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    From here, it looks like both end shots ended with the same result.

It would be cool if we had different kinds of armor, like an anti-missile armor, anti-laser armor, etc. But that's an idea for the Suggestion forums, I suppose.
    i wouldn't say that. it would seem someone found out that in the new dev builds the effect computers can be equipped to the hot bar and activated like any comp and they give some resistance boosts. for example punch through could give increase protection from hull penetrations

Reaction score
    fantastic, space-crumple-zones. In my experience, blocks are essentially expendable and there's no substitute for a f**k-ton of shield generators

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Technically the spaced hull should be slightly better, as I believe the blast radius of a missile hit is simulated by multiple 'simple' damage spheres that reduce in radius a few times.

Would like to see armor become more of a viable strategy in the future ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    fantastic, space-crumple-zones. In my experience, blocks are essentially expendable and there's no substitute for a f**k-ton of shield generators

Agreed, but watch the language. I almost always build my ships with shields in mind, usually using 1 layer of hull just to provide exterior. Lately however, I've been using 2 or 3 layers to prevent Interior showing through like in the below picture on the rings (and yes, the top is indeed solid)....

Reactions: Rumcajz