Ares Aerospace Incident Report *Classified*

Reaction score
    *Begin Recording*
    *Classified, level 2 Executive and Above*
    *Unauthorised Personnel Accessing this report are in full violation of our Preemptive NDA and will be subject to full disciplinary action. Or just simply disappeared out the nearest airlock without a suit......*

Ares Aerospace Incident Report
    Battle of Tranquility Three
    BB-1 Near-Catastrophic Engineering Casualty
    Final Investigative Report

The KSN BB-1 Desolation's Reign, a modified A1R4 Phobos Class Battleship, was deployed in an anti-piracy search and destroy patrol in the Kushan Prime system. It was a standard operation, and after engaging and destroying four pirate stations and several squadrons of light raider, moved on the investigate the abandoned station Tranquility Three.

A pirate presence was discovered and BB-1 moved to engage. Shortly after the station had been stripped of defenses and nearly demolished, three squadrons of light combatants had been summoned by the distress call and counter attacked The Desolation's Reign. Normally, this threat level would not pose a danger to this class of ship, but BB-1 suffered a near catastrophic engineering casualty.

The computer network, including secondary and tertiary systems, went completely down. Emergency power kicked in, but all four engines went off line, and the resulting power surge forced an automated shutdown of the entire shield grid as well. Thankfully the turrets were able to switch over to local control, but BB-1 ended up taking sustained fire for several minutes with no shields and no ability to maneuver past RCS thrusters.

The engineering crew managed to get the shields back online, and minimal power back to the engines after several attempts to switch over to backup computer systems. However they were only outputting a fraction of their usual thrust despite no obvious damage, and the jump drive system was not responding to commands.

Around this time the turrets system finished off both the pirate reinforcements and the stations. The ship was able to get up to a max speed of 15 M/S and limp towards a friendly Trade Guild station 3 sectors away. In the time it took to make it the shop, damage control teams were able to patch most of the hull breaches, but were forced to jettison and destroy a disabled AMS turret. The ship, in addition to the loss of a single defensive turret, took moderate damage to the upper port armored hull and shield systems.

While we have a license to produce the ship from Nuclear Fun Shipyards, we do not have a license to produce NFS turrets, and our mounting system is completely incompatible with the system used by NFS. The crew was forced to remove the old mount and construct an ad-hoc mount compatible with our Mk 8 phalanx while the trade guild fabber systems produced the replacement turret.

After several more attempts, the engineering crew managed to get the engines working at full efficiency, the jump drive powered up, and made the single jump to return to our main shipyard facilities in the GXN cluster. Our dockside engineers were given a very specific NDA and turned loose to finish repairs on the shield systems and to investigate what caused the problem in the first place.

While our legal team and the team from NFS are arguing over blame, the fault was not on their side. Although we have no intentions whatsoever of letting this out, as part of our standard upgrade package we had installed a class 5 AI module into the core room. The molo-circ on this particular AI core was flawed and after being powered up or a brief time suffered an unintentional quantum crystal phase shift. This caused a cascade reaction into the main computer network, which in turn cascaded into the backups thus taking down an entire series of systems. We need to take a close look at the QC of a few of our MolyCirc growers, I suspect several more bad lots have been pushed to our AI division, and that should not be possible unless we have a member of upper management altering records....

I recommend immediate, and final, termination of the responsible party. Had the Desolation's Reign been a smaller ship, like the majority of the GXN squadron, we almost certainly would have lost her. Thankfully, none of the relatively light caliber weaponry managed to penetrate to the crew areas. Although it was very close, we found some minor damage all the way down to the hangar area.

*End Report*
    *Message Encrypted*
    *Message Sent, subspace frequency 19.8913*
    *Confirmation of receipt*
    *End Transmission*

END RP
    Hit a bug where I crashed, and when I logged in my ship wasn't fully functional. Shields and engines didn't register as being present, and my jump drive wouldn't jump. Thankfully the massive turret batteries on the Desolation kept firing. And yes, I submitted my logs to Schine already ;). After I logged off and logged back on a few times, everything went back to normal.

I'm not upset, I got a cool story idea, and the flagship of the GXN squadron now has some sweet looking wear/repaired damage going :^D.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Wow, this is probably the most elaborate story about a bug lol.

Report it here, this is the proper place to report bugs: Phabricator

Reaction score
    Yeah, the KNS BB-1 Desolation is a beautiful ship, but not my design at all. I'm not even sure who put in the effort to modify to make it GXN legal and then made it publically available. I'd like to give them a huge thanks someday.

I'd highly recommend downloading the ship from NuclearFun and getting into some trouble with it. When I was patching up the hull, I learned a lot on how he pulled off some of the detailing and may be able to make use of that knowledge in the future.

I believe the hex paneling along the dorsal hull are actually vertical launch missile turrets on the original design. They were removed and patched over to bring the ship down under the max turret cap on my survival server.