Anyone wanna build a ship for me?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have many contributors to the internal craft on a WIP I have going, and for some reason, I am woefully under skilled to build small ships. It seems that is outside of my abilities. I was wondering if someone would want to build a dropship for me. Large enough to carry a 20x35x15 "tank" and about a dozen "soldiers". It needn't be heavily armed or armored, it is merely for RP purposes. However, super kudos to someone who can do both. I'll post a pic. inspirationf.jpg

Reaction score
    First of I must tell you that I am not interested at all to do some exterior hull for a random stranger.

I'd rather have a faction where people build on different bigger projects together. So you come online, and feel like "hey today I wanna do some hull stuff", and can pick from 10 open projects together.

But.

Where is the hangar for the tank? I suggest to attach the tank to the keel, with hangar this ship gets like 100m long dimensions. Nice model though.

What's the size of a soldier? Is this one a mecha (3x2x4)or just 1x2 player size?

What is the aimed size for the ship?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    Not sure if I could do it justice but I am definitely going to use that ship for some inspiration for a new ship I was planning.

I would however be interested in seeing the finished article if you are able to find someone to do it.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's hard enough to even get builders involved in small building contests. These build requests never seem to end well.

A dropship large enough to carry a tank that has roughly the same dimensions as an Isanth IV is no longer a "small ship". It's not a titan by any means, but it will be big enough to allow for easy detail. Based on the look of the dropship in the picture, I would say it is easily 100 meters, stem to stern, 120 m from wingtip to wingtip (feel free to trim those wings shorter), and probably 40 m tall.

Unless the ship is designed to carry the tank sideways, which would be a weird, yet fun change. I imagine that if a 10-m tall tank were carried sideways, the dimensions could be cut in half, so 20x50x50.

The thing is, you'll just have to reconsider the design of the ship to improve efficiency. For instance, you may want to consider stretching the top wings forward to attach them directly to what I am assuming is the mid-ship engine pods. Then you can have a flat panel of system blocks stretching through the wing all the way through the top of the engine pod. (Or you can leave them separated. That's OK too.)

For combat-dropships, I always recommend having side-ways disembarkation processes. You merely have to watch the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" to see why frontal disembarkation designs are a bad idea for combat drops. That puts the disembarking troops directly below your engine pods, maybe, so they may get fried if there is a hot-drop, but them's the breaks. War is hell. Friendly fire, doubly-so.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's hard enough to even get builders involved in small building contests. These build requests never seem to end well.

A dropship large enough to carry a tank that has roughly the same dimensions as an Isanth IV is no longer a "small ship". It's not a titan by any means, but it will be big enough to allow for easy detail. Based on the look of the dropship in the picture, I would say it is easily 100 meters, stem to stern, 120 m from wingtip to wingtip (feel free to trim those wings shorter), and probably 40 m tall.

Unless the ship is designed to carry the tank sideways, which would be a weird, yet fun change. I imagine that if a 10-m tall tank were carried sideways, the dimensions could be cut in half, so 20x50x50.

The thing is, you'll just have to reconsider the design of the ship to improve efficiency. For instance, you may want to consider stretching the top wings forward to attach them directly to what I am assuming is the mid-ship engine pods. Then you can have a flat panel of system blocks stretching through the wing all the way through the top of the engine pod. (Or you can leave them separated. That's OK too.)

For combat-dropships, I always recommend having side-ways disembarkation processes. You merely have to watch the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" to see why frontal disembarkation designs are a bad idea for combat drops. That puts the disembarking troops directly below your engine pods, maybe, so they may get fried if there is a hot-drop, but them's the breaks. War is hell. Friendly fire, doubly-so.

Your second set of estimated sizes was what I landed around when I built it. I apologize if I seem elitist in my OP, but for me, that is a small ship and my grasp on wedging is layman at best. I actually built this ship, and it is an abomination to look at. I might send you pics to save myself the embarrassment of displaying it to the public, but I did have a helpful builder message me, so it seems to be on the up and up.

Reactions: jayman38

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I took some artistic liberties as far as replicating the original picture goes.

In red as requested. I like blue better myself.

Requested tank is docked just below the engines.

Works of course. Some shields, decent thrust, and a little fixed gun up top for potshots at pilots.

It's fully functional and has some RP features and the like, including the little ground skimmer (also requested). I'll put it up on CC if anyone is interested I guess.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Yes and no. Depends on the planet. If you do some tree clearing operations it works alright lol

Reactions: Dire Venom