Any tips to make ai not go crazy with pickup rails.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hello im asking people who already did carriers.
    I noticed that you can't put your pickup rails where you want you need to put them in a precise place so your fighter can dock with no probs.
    If not please tell me.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I think you might need to explain what your problem is a bit more. What do you mean by precise place/location?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    His problem (not really his, tbh) is that fleet AI cannot reliably dock with the blue thing after "Carrier Recall" command. "Going crazy" describes it perfectly.

After some experiments I found that I can help a little by constantly moving the carrier away (at 0.5-1 m/s) and blocking all approach directions except one with some area trigger blocks.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, the answer that is likely the most true and the least satisfying is "This is the first release of the new system, its going to be buggy as hell, give it time."

Starmade is still an alpha (just very advanced alpha), and this is basically the alpha phase of a new mechanic. An alpha of an alpha, saying "It works, but barely" is probably going to be an understatement for a while.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    His problem (not really his, tbh) is that fleet AI cannot reliably dock with the blue thing after "Carrier Recall" command. "Going crazy" describes it perfectly.

After some experiments I found that I can help a little by constantly moving the carrier away (at 0.5-1 m/s) and blocking all approach directions except one with some area trigger blocks.
    I also believe you can turn off the pickup points with logic. Bench mentioned it briefly in his video.

He mentioned it here:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I had a huge problem with one. The fighter I was docking had wings extending forward of the rail docker. The fighter flipped out when commanded to dock, even when I backed the ship away. On a second ship using drones, if I back away and order recall they load up fine. It may have something to do with how your docking entity is built. The more accessible the docker is, the easier time it will have docking in it's current implementation.

Basically, though the new system is not a solid object, the docking craft sees it as a solid object it can collide with and tries to avoid doing so.