Recognized by Council Antenna Possibilities

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hi!

Something that occurred to me with the new GUI update; what if radar wasn't just given to every ship with a core but was an additional function of the antenna block? It already has a manual long range scan, so why not give it the passive radar where the range and/or scan speed (refresh rate) is based on antenna strength? This means that if your ships antenna controller is destroyed or without power, the ship will not have any radar!

Also i thought, since the blocks are 'antenna' what if in-game chat was also tied into it? Chat range could depend on antenna strength.

What's everybody think? :D

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like this a lot. Could it re-use the scanner computer, or would we need to use another Block ID for an "EM Scan" computer?

I think to keep the default game relatively simply, this should be server-side configurable with a default of -1 (disabled).

Another idea: Allow light bars (lit or unlit) to be linkable for passive EM. Basically, an alternative to using antenna blocks. After all, one of the secondary uses for the light bars, according to the dev team, was as antennas and other small pieces, especially if unlit.

Some quick ideas for scalability (maybe each has a server-side config with a default of -1 for disabled):
    Direct-chat communication with someone: one sector per antenna/light bar block.
    nav detection, missile warnings, and HUD indicators: 1000 block lengths/meters per antenna/light bar block.
    current shield strength of target only visible if > 12 antenna/light bar blocks
    maximum shield strength of target only visible if > 25 antenna/light bar blocks
    current energy level of target only visible if > 100 antenna/light bar blocks
    maximum energy level of target only visible if > 150 antenna/light bar blocks and > 3 computers of any kind, including the scan computer.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cool!

I was thinking it would all be controlled by the scanner computer as it controls the antenna blocks. Dont really like how antenna strength is currently calculated, and i dont really like to think that a hard number of blocks would always give you a certain functionality either...

Real world antenna come in all shapes and sizes for a number of reasons; perhaps some sort of rationale that points us in that direction when placing antenna on our ships/stations/planets? Like the reactor blocks; building them in different shapes gives different results.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Hi!

Something that occurred to me with the new GUI update; what if radar wasn't just given to every ship with a core but was an additional function of the antenna block? It already has a manual long range scan, so why not give it the passive radar where the range and/or scan speed (refresh rate) is based on antenna strength? This means that if your ships antenna controller is destroyed or without power, the ship will not have any radar!

Also i thought, since the blocks are 'antenna' what if in-game chat was also tied into it? Chat range could depend on antenna strength.

What's everybody think? :D
    I, for one, think the scanner should reveal all the stations and shops in a system (in other words, no more nasty surprises from passing by "Unknown Stations" that were actually Pirate Stations.)

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I, for one, think the scanner should reveal all the stations and shops in a system (in other words, no more nasty surprises from passing by "Unknown Stations" that were actually Pirate Stations.)
    There are some bugs related with this for example stations which you visit but stay unknown. Having a scanner which makes then 'known' would be great.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ummmm....... cool, my thread is a year older.

Perhaps, it may be unnecessary, but i wouldn't say useless. If it's users have a need for it, that would just mean that Starmade depends less on 3rd parties if it develops it's own tools, and it isn't necessary to stop 3rd parties, again the idea is to not depend on them to meet the needs / wants of the players.

But i created this thread because i thought it was a neat idea, I don't feel that it must be had, lol

Reaction score
    I'm all for more uses of scanners.

Also as additionial idea: I would like it if scanner data could be remotely added to ones personal navigation. That way I could use entire networks of radar stations.

Reaction score
    I like this a lot. Could it re-use the scanner computer, or would we need to use another Block ID for an "EM Scan" computer?

I think to keep the default game relatively simply, this should be server-side configurable with a default of -1 (disabled).

Another idea: Allow light bars (lit or unlit) to be linkable for passive EM. Basically, an alternative to using antenna blocks. After all, one of the secondary uses for the light bars, according to the dev team, was as antennas and other small pieces, especially if unlit.

Some quick ideas for scalability (maybe each has a server-side config with a default of -1 for disabled):
    Direct-chat communication with someone: one sector per antenna/light bar block.
    nav detection, missile warnings, and HUD indicators: 1000 block lengths/meters per antenna/light bar block.
    current shield strength of target only visible if > 12 antenna/light bar blocks
    maximum shield strength of target only visible if > 25 antenna/light bar blocks
    current energy level of target only visible if > 100 antenna/light bar blocks
    maximum energy level of target only visible if > 150 antenna/light bar blocks and > 3 computers of any kind, including the scan computer.
    I disagree with two parts. One, chat. This would just limit in game comunication and socialability and would give a big advantage to 3rd party software people and soloplayers in different galaxies.

(I didn't want to quote again)
    "nav detection, missile warnings, and HUD indicators: 1000 block lengths/meters per antenna/light bar block."

You do relize that, besides missile warnings, the nav screen and hud indicators are one of the most important part of navigation, in any distance greater than 200 meters. That is the most ecpensive thing on your list, and is quite(both comparitivally and literaly) large. In order to get basic nav systems for a ship you need 1,000 blocks of scanners. Unless you're flying only ~100 block long ships, thats quite a lot. That space could hold a 10,000 dps cannon system.

I would have the basic nav stuff cost 5-10 or so, you need it but it is really small, while the the missile detection thing be around 500 or so.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    EDIT: This comment can be ignored.

Hum. I like the idea, but what about working it something like this:

1. Antenna Computer + Antenna = Scan System for things

2. We combine the weapon/effects to make diffrent scan types.

Examples:
    Antenna + Missiles = Current Scanner

Antenna + Cannons = Radar

Antenna + Cannons + EMP = Long Range Radar

Antenna + Missile + Pulse = Long Range Scanner

Not sure how many useful weapon/effect combos could be made. But overall I think it would be more interesting then a standard passive system.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    What're the differences there, Sgtwisky?

What's the difference between a radar system and our present scanners? Why's there a difference between LR radar and a longer/larger antenna? In what universe does a cannon barrel also serve as an antenna?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    wait... I think I read the OP wrong... For some reason I was thinking of where the OP mentioned "Radar" of being the blips that appear in your Nav or on screen when piloting. I just feel silly after re-reading it now.

Erm... You may ignore my other post.

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Great discussion. Love the notion of adding more function to existing features.
    Really dig the notion of passive effect where the radar circle is only visible with a scanner system on your ship.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also as additionial idea: I would like it if scanner data could be remotely added to ones personal navigation. That way I could use entire networks of radar stations.
    I really like the networking idea, but I feel that letting the players character magically have access to an entire empire worth of radar would be sorta counter productive. If you mean giving the ship you're flying access to all that radar than yes! Sorta! It is currently an "antenna" block, so the idea of it sending and receiving data from other sources makes since, HOWEVER, those various sources would need to be within range of each other... which would depend on the signal strengths... or there could be an infinite range but at the cost of increasingly old info (lag) so that you don't instantly know what's happening on the other side of the universe. Or even a combination of the two where there is an infinite signal range, that travels at a set speed, but if a chain of antennas are all within range of each other, the info they relay is done so instantly?

I disagree with two parts. One, chat. This would just limit in game comunication and socialability and would give a big advantage to 3rd party software people and soloplayers in different galaxies.

(I didn't want to quote again)
    "nav detection, missile warnings, and HUD indicators: 1000 block lengths/meters per antenna/light bar block."

You do relize that, besides missile warnings, the nav screen and hud indicators are one of the most important part of navigation, in any distance greater than 200 meters. That is the most ecpensive thing on your list, and is quite(both comparitivally and literaly) large. In order to get basic nav systems for a ship you need 1,000 blocks of scanners. Unless you're flying only ~100 block long ships, thats quite a lot. That space could hold a 10,000 dps cannon system.

I would have the basic nav stuff cost 5-10 or so, you need it but it is really small, while the the missile detection thing be around 500 or so.
    Of course, I do realize this but it hadn't occurred to me when i made this suggestion! :p That's simple! Make all that important HUD stuff dependent upon the radar / antenna system. After all, it doesn't make since to have indicators for everything if there is nothing aboard your ship that detects stuff, or tracks things. It could be said though, that the ships core currently possesses the 'central computer' of sorts, and the radar, and the navi systems. Which brings up another point... the ships core is currently able to hold an entire universe worth of systems inside it as a 3D map which can be used to plot courses, and track objects in.... that's quite impressive! Maybe later, when ship cores aren't the central point of a ship, the computer blocks could be made to adopt this function somehow? Maybe using motherboard blocks to make giant, awesome, computers! (not to be confused with actual logic computers...)

EDIT: This comment can be ignored.

Hum. I like the idea, but what about working it something like this:

1. Antenna Computer + Antenna = Scan System for things

2. We combine the weapon/effects to make diffrent scan types.

Examples:
    Antenna + Missiles = Current Scanner

Antenna + Cannons = Radar

Antenna + Cannons + EMP = Long Range Radar

Antenna + Missile + Pulse = Long Range Scanner

Not sure how many useful weapon/effect combos could be made. But overall I think it would be more interesting then a standard passive system.
    I saw your other post stating that you misread the original, but still a cool idea! Instead of using weapon parts, perhaps various crystals or such could be slaved to the antenna that could alter how it functions. Such as in the EvE universe where the 4 factions each use a differnt type of 'radar' that function quite differently from each other (gravimetric, magnetometric, ladar and radar). Or maybe ingots could be attached somehow to better find certain ores? etc.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would like to point out that antenna =/= radar but I guess this is a scifi game and it's some kind of technological scanner. Don't get me wrong I do think expanding the current scanner/antenna is a good idea but I'm not sure taking away the radar unless you have a scanner might not be the best option.

Reactions: JNC

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would like to point out that antenna =/= radar
    You know what a fan-beam antenna is used for?
    (I like antennas, don't judge me pls)

More on topic: I dislike the chat range being based on a ship system.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like to point out that antenna =/= radar but I guess this is a scifi game and it's some kind of technological scanner. Don't get me wrong I do think expanding the current scanner/antenna is a good idea but I'm not sure taking away the radar unless you have a scanner might not be the best option.
    I just have to say: ※
    Radar refers to a specific process which uses an 'antenna'. Technically the antenna block can be anything the sends or receives EM waves.

You know what a fan-beam antenna is used for?
    (I like antennas, don't judge me pls)

More on topic: I dislike the chat range being based on a ship system.
    I am not sure what a fan-beam antenna is used for... I supposed if a computer were supplied with its focused data, in a a sweeping motion, than a very detailed scan could be compiled? Are you suggesting that sweeping antenna parts be added, or dishes perhaps?

I hadn't considered that people would cheat when it came to the voice chat suggestion... and it is very limiting, however, it could be added as a server admin option perhaps, which would depend on trust in its users. For those of us that would like something like this, I think it would add more depth in the ship design process, and give antennas more precedence, perhaps, when choosing your flagship... or anything related to antenna really (comms, scanning, radar, etc), and i wouldnt cheat! :P

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The fan-beam antenna thing was just a (strange) joke.
    Sven said that radar systems and antennas are something different and i gave an example of an antenna type used in radar systems.