Another idea for Spherical Planets

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have read a lot of topics in starmade forums about spherical planets inplementation, but I didn't saw anywhere idea like what I came up with.

From a distance planet would render as big sphere (similiar how it's now but sphere would not be transparent), this sphere would be illusion of planet. Diameter of this sphere could be, let's say - 12km long.

When u are flying through atmosphere then sphere disappear and big oval disc renders (like how it now work). It's field should be equal to sphere's field.

For now it looks very similiar to the current system. Planet's are just bigger in my idea, to make them look like real planets, not dwarf discs. Let's read the rest of my idea.

There would be few differences between the current system and the system from my idea.

1. When u're near end of planet disc then it teleports u to opposite side of disc, like this:

U're red dot, green dot shows position after teleportation.

(terrain generated on borders should be somehow similiar to make player don't feel that He has been teleportet.

2. Lower parts of planet should be core, impossible to go through.

3. When u pass trough atmosphere then u can't spawn under disc, u must always spawn above it. And there should be some way to make unable to go under planet disc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    BTW I think that sectors should be really bigger. 1km is funny distance in space.

Anyway. In starmade u can see planet\'s that are far away for u.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Don\'t forget that sector\'s size don\'t need to be changed. Planet sphere is just element like current planet spheres. They exist out of sectors.

And planet discs could be in imaginary sectors that are bigger but are not directly connected to another space sectors.

(PS: I really would approve to make speed smaller in planet disc sectors)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    We dont need spherical planets (to get them usefull they should be veeeery big, so it means less worlds) . Current solution is good - only small change like posted in other similiar thread about making it half sphere with surface on flat part.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why do u say that more worlds = better.

For now planets do not have any bigger meaning. For now planets are just bigger asteroids with better resources. Big and rare planets would make new possibilites, like land, naval, aerial fights to take controll over planet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Customize: create customized weapons, harvesting elements, shields and docking stations for your ship. Combine elements to groups to make your modules even more powerful.
    • Multiplayer: full multi player: share control of your ship or design a ship together
    • Destroy: destroy your enemies with your powerful weapons or just infiltrate an enemy ship. There already is a big arsenal of destructive modules: Missiles (normal, heat seeking and target chasing), Lasers, and Explosive modules that detonate on impact
    • Salvage: salvage the ships of your fallen enemies to gain credits
    • Share: save, import & export your own ships as blueprints. You can upload your blueprints to any multi player server

I think it will be just space ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Notice that it\'s describe of what we have now. I don\'t see any future features there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    *Notice that it is a description of what is in the game now, I don\'t see any future features there.

There is also an unofficial list of what will be added. I only see vehicles under the \"suggested by others\" part.

http://star-made.org/wiki/planned-features

Reaction score
    I think idea is good but there are probably a lot of problems that would happen. A major one is that what if I want jump of the edge of my planet because I parked a ship underneath(I do this a lot). I think the idea of contest of big and rare planets is great idea and it would still be a space game because you would simply have the battles in space above the planet. The problem with planets bigger than the usual 1-2 km long sector is that it would probably cause some major lag and bugs. Also the telporting to the other side of a planet would probably get annoying and I reckon it would require a poeerul PC to do this. Otherwise this is a very good idea!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    @UP

Well planet discs could be out of starmade universe in separated worlds. So planets could be still divided by sectors.
    :)

@Trollerbobman
    I see one interesting thing in suggested list:

\"Vehicles/Mechs, for some wicked ground battles >:D \"
    If schema added it there then He thinks about it

Also

\"World Survival (Find a planet and live on it)\"
    Is really hard to make it interesting while planets are smal..

Reaction score
    I was flying to a planet (Earth Type) And I found a city on it for some reason. This was single player so I was obviously confused and I dont know what it was there for. Anyone for that before? It is just like byamarro said (Big and rare planets would make new possibilites, like land, naval, aerial fights to take controll over planet.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cities are rare generated textures. If u find one, you should to search for chest in this city.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yes, the Cities are rare generated structures, like desert pyramids, found on the earth-like planets.

There is usually a few chests of loot around the city, and it is perfect for a faction base.

Reaction score
    Although schema appreciates effort put into this type of idea, people don\'t see what has been discussed already. This solution looks Good in principal, as do other similar ones. But they All have a spacial distortion issue, Or present more problems than they solve. Schema has said as much, And even conducted tests just to prove his point. Spherical planets are simply not what the developer is going to do.

That being said, the current disc will be improved to a two sided disc, and planet size variations, larger sectors, and more type variations are things that Can be worked into the game, and likely will be in Or near beta. Try to be patient, and keep in mind that schema has been thinking of what would be Cool, and how best to accomplish it for several years now on this game, and he Does read your suggestions, even if he doesn\'t respond.
    Thanks for playing! :D