Animated gif file mystery

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hello All,

Going through my screenshots in the StarMade folder the other day I noticed a 445Gb gif file in there dated 5 november this year that contains a sequence of me building something, but, this is the embarrassing part, I have no idea were this came from ;)

So my question is, is there a keyboard shortcut for this in the game I'm missing or have overlooked, or is there something in Windows 10 that can do this and I don't know about...

I do have screen capture software, but I'm sure that's not it since that creates either avi or mp4 video files. :D

Greets,

Jan

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Yes, there is a keyboard shortcut for it, but I don't remember what the shortcut is.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    By default its the pause button next to scroll lock.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ah, right. I must have pressed that key at some time then when trying to hit another one in that vicinity. lol

In retrospect it happened probably at the time I upped the memory footprint since I suddenly found the game running quite sluggish. :D

Thanks for the info guys, it'll go in the list of hidden keyboard entries for one never knows. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, you turn on the video capture with the Pause button and your game will become quite sluggish indeed as it fills up your entire hard drive. :)

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i should also point out that the gifs that you can make in starmade tend to play out way faster then normal. thats why i use programs like photoshop to slow the frames down as well as any other edits as capturing gifs can actually break the game to an extent

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes Crimson-Artist I noticed the playback wasn't really smooth and it also seemed as if it wasn't recorded at the same speed overall.

In any case if I knowingly would make a recording I'd use Shadowplay. I did some tests with that and it works like a charm. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It seems to be a performance saving issue.

As in, it seems to only take every other frame or so, then puts it into a gif at regular speed, making it look jerky/sped up.

Given how badly it lags the game as is, it would probably make it unplayable if it did a full framerate grab.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, you turn on the video capture with the Pause button and your game will become quite sluggish indeed as it fills up your entire hard drive. :)
    Why is this hotkeyed to the pause button rather than the print button?
    As in, it seems to only take every other frame or so, then puts it into a gif at regular speed, making it look jerky/sped up.
    If 2 frames are skipped, the adjacent ones (previous, next) should take place of this two.
    At least the file or a text-output next to it should contain information about the frames that got captured.