An Immersive Astronaut Weapon/Item System

Reaction score
    While thinking about a more immersive astronaut weapon system, most individuals agree that customizable weapons are ideal, but there isn't a consensus on how to create a reasonable system to make this possible. I think the answer lies in a system similar to one found a longtime RPG favorite, KOTOR.

To start off, I think that the base element of this system involves a "workbench" block/LOD item. At the workbench players would be able to assemble their weapons and other needed items, such as flashlights, build restrictors, and other equipment. The actual construction of items would allow for different variables in weapon/item performance to be modified. Say we were to construct a weapon with this system:
    1. Start off by collecting all necessary parts and taking them to a workbench.
    2. Begin construction of the weapon with a frame, the frame that you chose could pertain to different weapon classes, such as pistol, rifle, heavy, or specialty.
    3. Attachment of different LOD modules, such as barrels, scopes, and ammunition type. This is the step where the real customization of the weapon would occur. Here you could modify elements such as DPS, range, rate of fire, and even the method of damage [laser, bullet, plasma, fire, etc.]. Modules that are of the same type could have different levels of quality in order to add variety, rarity, and value to weapon variations.
    4. Production of a unique, customized, LOD weapon.
    A system such as this would allow a lot to the game in terms of trade and exploration. A legitimate market for weapon parts, mods, and astronaut items would be opened, making trade for unique items possible. Planets could have items hidden in or on them, perhaps in a ruin like structure, that can only be attained by means of going down on the planet and picking them up in person. Once we have functioning cities on planets it would be possible to have certain NPCs that could give out quests for the items, or could direct the player to where they could be hidden within certain buildings.

If more depth is needed or desired it would be possible to integrate a “blueprint” system, where in order for one to be able to produce multiple versions of a certain part, they would need to collect and unlock blueprints at the workbench.

I think that a system such as this offers a legitimate, feasible way to create an immersive astronaut weapon/item system. I think that the most important aspect of this system would be how easy it would be to mod the system and add to it, further allowing for more customization.

Reaction score
    That sounds like a good idea. Of course it could be expanded to crafting other items such as armor, space suits, shields, and jetpacks. Maybe even some portable LOD turrets to fend off hostile creatures once they are added to the game.

Reactions: Nickizzy and faiyde

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We definitely need varying quality levels. Quality levels are more suitable for astronaut weapons than for ship blocks because there are better options for making the high-quality items rare. Having to find them in ruins would be one way. Another would be making them via resource-intensive processes using materials that are nearly impossible to acquire except on foot (some kind of rare, fragile crystal that spawns in caves, perhaps).

The LOD system could work well if we just get a variety of neat-looking, pre-made parts rather than trying to build things out of blocks. Building weapons and armor with microblocks would create graphical lag in personal combat, which is the LAST thing we need. As long as there are a good variety of options to choose from, prefab parts are fine.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I agree. I also think that making weapons/armor/helmets out of BLOCKS could be an answer.
    EG any blueprint under 1000 blocks could be "converted" into a weapon/item with activating it causing all the weapons onboard to discharge. The same could be true for armor/helmets, only they would provide AHP, SHP, shields for the astro.

Reaction score
    That sounds like a good idea. Of course it could be expanded to crafting other items such as armor, space suits, shields, and jetpacks. Maybe even some portable LOD turrets to fend off hostile creatures once they are added to the game.
    Exactly! A Something like this could be used to add so many different elements to the game.

We definitely need varying quality levels. Quality levels are more suitable for astronaut weapons than for ship blocks because there are better options for making the high-quality items rare. Having to find them in ruins would be one way. Another would be making them via resource-intensive processes using materials that are nearly impossible to acquire except on foot (some kind of rare, fragile crystal that spawns in caves, perhaps).

The LOD system could work well if we just get a variety of neat-looking, pre-made parts rather than trying to build things out of blocks. Building weapons and armor with microblocks would create graphical lag in personal combat, which is the LAST thing we need. As long as there are a good variety of options to choose from, prefab parts are fine.
    I think that variety, and possibly the ability to further customize through the use of paint, is the key to ensuring successful implementation of a system like this. LOD blocks would also allow models to add their own content later on in the development process, and I think it would allow for a cohesive art style(s) to be implemented.