Align astronaut weapons and anti-astronaut turrets to the main ship

Reaction score
    I think weapons shot from astronauts and anti astronaut turrets should align themselves to the main ship.

Currently having astronaut combat with even slight movement is a glitchfest due to weapons flying all over the place depending on ship movement direction.

Reactions: Dire Venom

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Any (more?) additive momentum on astronaut projectiles would really mess with astronaut cross-ship fire (from ship A to B). Maybe instead of a permanent thing, there could be an item that aligns all projectiles within a visible radius to the ship it's thrown onto for a period of time?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In terms of real life physics, this makes sense. Relativity dictates that this is the behavior you would observe even if the ship you're standing on is going half the speed of light or more relative to whatever it's using as a reference point (e.g. local star).

Starmade's physics in general need a whole heck of a lot of work. A comparable game already has working contact docking with no special rail blocks or anything. Small vessels just stick on wherever. Starmade should be capable of stuff like that, but oddly seems not to be. Anyway, that's something to look at once we see if the power and weapon updates actually make the game worthwhile again.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Any (more?) additive momentum on astronaut projectiles would really mess with astronaut cross-ship fire (from ship A to B). Maybe instead of a permanent thing, there could be an item that aligns all projectiles within a visible radius to the ship it's thrown onto for a period of time?
    This ^ wasn't worded correctly at all, now that I see it. >.<

Pretty-much, when I think of projectiles aligning to a ship, I imagine said projectiles also orbiting around the ship's center of mass when said ship rotates. As though the projectile was an astronaut (albeit, a very volatile one with high velocity). I can see how this would help indoors battles, but if the effects reach outside of the ship, things get weird quickly.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Half the problem in the first place is that our pistols shoot like freaking nerf guns. The projectiles are too slow for FPS combat! I want a Colt 1911, not a Nerf Hyperfire.

Reaction score
    Half the problem in the first place is that our pistols shoot like freaking nerf guns. The projectiles are too slow for FPS combat! I want a Colt 1911, not a Nerf Hyperfire.
    this is an understatement. =D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I say we just boost the velocity of the pistol, absent an overhaul of astronaut combat. Unless there's a lore explanation of why we have interstellar travel in seconds but we use Nerf guns

Reaction score
    even snipers which are essentially mini beams that are hitscan so instant hit, get very glitchy when firing on board a ship thats moving, feels like the issue is an engine/physics issue, so seems like it would be simplest computational wise to just align everything to the entity the astronaut was aligned to.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I'm curious as to why projectiles - all projectiles - aren't automatically inheriting the firing point's vector, and haven't been doing so from the beginning. The projectile system as it is now is unintuitive, unrealistic, and doesn't save any computational power, so what was the purpose of ever doing it that way instead of staying Newtonian? To me it just feels like an unnecessary "artificial difficulty " choice to make fighting more difficult.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    even snipers which are essentially mini beams that are hitscan so instant hit, get very glitchy when firing on board a ship thats moving, feels like the issue is an engine/physics issue, so seems like it would be simplest computational wise to just align everything to the entity the astronaut was aligned to.
    Sniper rifles are bugged anyway and often go through people without hitting them.