AI Weapons Control Computer

Reaction score
    Seeing as I despise the look of turrets (they look too World-War-II-era-Navy for me), combined with my little misadventure in discovering that Weapon Computer orientation determines the direction of said wep's output, AND noticing just how few options are available from old BOBBY the AI..... I was considering:

What if there was a Master AI Computer just for weapons (ie. multiple weapons) that would enable me to give my ships point-defense-weps using internal weapons (ie, not external turrets) and coordinate all that non-primary (forward firing) weapons fire? [It's all much clearer in me head than when I write it down...] Something to enable smaller side/top/bottom/rear orientated cannons to prioritize and shoot hostiles while I'm concentrating on my main weapons. Something that, unlike the BOBBY where you can choose missiles OR ships for instance, you have the ability to fire at missiles first then ships if all missiles are gone.

(All this cuz I like "advanced" alien-looking ships upon which turrets look primitive. Yes, cater to my whims, Starmade!!!)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If what you're suggesting was implemented, any ship could be crammed with weapons facing every direction and hit targets on six planes simultaneously using systems which can only be killed by killing the mother ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If what you're suggesting was implemented, any ship could be crammed with weapons facing every direction and hit targets on six planes simultaneously using systems which can only be killed by killing the mother ship.
    Yeah, but you could already do that with logic. Plus, think off all the space you'd have to take away from shields to make that massive amount of weapons any good.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I believe he is suggesting that the weapons should be able to target independently on all planes, if I understood correctly. But even so, weapons fired with logic cannot aim, and are not extraordinarily useful outside of very limited circumstances, which is good. Keeps it from being overpowered.

Reaction score
    Perhaps I should refine my terminology to "Point-Defense Overseer Computer." Remember this is intended to be a DEFENSIVE weapons coordinator to replace external/docked turrets. Limiting it's usage to Cannons (the only current anti-missile weapon atm) could certainly be a stipulation, as well as limiting the size of those cannons. No Overpower-facilitation is intended. The fact the the rest of you immediately consider any and every way in which to exploit an idea is not my responsibility (little offense intended ~.o )...

I am suggesting that each small point-def wep be able to identify and target missile threats in it's direction and proximity and fire when a threat is detected. Not that they all concentrate on any single incoming threat (though if you put multiple weps, say on the port side they may each fire at the same target if there's only one...) Which also makes me consider that if you HAD multiple pt-defs per direction and multiple incomers, the Overseer would prevent redundant targeting.

Remember that my goal is to essentially have (defensive) turret effects without the actual turrets. Nothing more -- at this time. Mwuuuahahahaaahhhaa!

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If I recall right, turrets are an intended weak point, and PD is a turret. You also could not dictate the size of these weapons, and there are a few ships who fire missiles out of the front, so you could technically make them hit the enemy ship indirectly (The ability to make them fire at ships directly makes it even more OP in that regard).

Too add on to that, AI is not nearly as complex as you think it is. All weapons computers attached to a AI will fire at the same convergence point. If you had 100 guns, and the AI rolled a "miss", all 100 shots will converge 5 blocks to the right for example.

However, what you want can be done by using fixed docking instead of turret docking, which basically allows the "turret" to act as a turret, but cannot turn, meaning it can only fire at targets in front of it. Try building 7x7x7 (default docking size) weapon ports along the edge of your ship, and set the AI as you would a turret. Would basically operate exactly as you suggested would in the current state (I haven't tested, so I dont know if AI will still target stuff it cant hit).

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps I should refine my terminology to "Point-Defense Overseer Computer."

Remember that my goal is to essentially have (defensive) turret effects without the actual turrets. Nothing more -- at this time. Mwuuuahahahaaahhhaa!
    Right, and as I said, there would be no way to counter your defenses, and no reason to employ PD turrets at all. What you are suggesting would render an entire type of ship (missile based ships) completely useless.

Reaction score
    :rolleyes:

Well, I'm just gunna let my semi-brilliant (/chuckle) idea fade into the background, as you both seem intent on missing the point.

There were other factors that contributed to this idea but i won't elucidate here. Perhaps another post when the smell of blood in the water has faded.