AI vs Weapons 3.0

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Couple of questions about how Bobby AI seems to be handling the new weapons:

Has anyone been able to actually achieve effective Point Defense yet under 2.0? (I have not - it tracks and fires but missile destruction rates even with two PDTs on each plane, is so low as to be in the range of 10%-intercepted. I suspect I'm not using large enough weapons for PD.)

Has anyone had luck using capital turrets firing anything other than missiles? (my beam turrets are hitting the low end of 'mediocre' in some situations, but my cannon turrets are utterly useless (as are my cannon drones)).

Note, I'm not talking about any issue of weapons balance here, but am specifically referring to an apparent inability of the AI to effectively use the new weapons effectively. I'm curious whether everyone else is experiencing relatively similar (lack of) performance at this juncture.

Ex. - I set two 9K light frigates equipped with 2 each of beam and cannon capital turrets, twin heavy missile mains, as well as 7 PDTs to duel each other (one fleeted in my fac, the other factioned to pirate) near my protected HB in SP. The two have been duking it out for days now with neither ever reducing the other's shield below 30-40%. They have been sitting in adjacent sectors fighting a stand-off battle for several hours of loaded-in run time. I would chalk this up to weapons not packing enough punch, but when I take a break to watch the show, I notice that the vast majority of their shots at each other don't seem to be anywhere near on target (oddly, even the beams seem to often shoot very wide of the mark) despite the fact that neither target is doing anything other than occasionally rotating or turning a bit.

It makes for a very cool looking, long-running, active background image while I work, but... it's troublesome because when I manually use an identical ship to attack, I can shred the AI-run entities with absolute impunity.

Reaction score
    Couple of questions about how Bobby AI seems to be handling the new weapons:

Has anyone been able to actually achieve effective Point Defense yet under 2.0? (I have not - it tracks and fires but missile destruction rates even with two PDTs on each plane, is so low as to be in the range of 10%-intercepted. I suspect I'm not using large enough weapons for PD.)

Has anyone had luck using capital turrets firing anything other than missiles? (my beam turrets are hitting the low end of 'mediocre' in some situations, but my cannon turrets are utterly useless (as are my cannon drones)).

Note, I'm not talking about any issue of weapons balance here, but am specifically referring to an apparent inability of the AI to effectively use the new weapons effectively. I'm curious whether everyone else is experiencing relatively similar (lack of) performance at this juncture.

Ex. - I set two 9K light frigates equipped with 2 each of beam and cannon capital turrets, twin heavy missile mains, as well as 7 PDTs to duel each other (one fleeted in my fac, the other factioned to pirate) near my protected HB in SP. The two have been duking it out for days now with neither ever reducing the other's shield below 30-40%. They have been sitting in adjacent sectors fighting a stand-off battle for several hours of loaded-in run time. I would chalk this up to weapons not packing enough punch, but when I take a break to watch the show, I notice that the vast majority of their shots at each other don't seem to be anywhere near on target (oddly, even the beams seem to often shoot very wide of the mark) despite the fact that neither target is doing anything other than occasionally rotating or turning a bit.

It makes for a very cool looking, long-running, active background image while I work, but... it's troublesome because when I manually use an identical ship to attack, I can shred the AI-run entities with absolute impunity.
    I've been able to get about 15-30% defense out of AMS. I think missiles right now are just way too fast if you play 10km sectors like most people because they seem to be scaling to sector size. For weapons... cannons are total garbage with recoil. For beams, if you are using beam-beam, they are very inaccurate when used by AI, but other beams work just fine for me. Not killing each other's shields is really strange since shields are super weak now. You may want to check AI accuracy in your configs

Reactions: Agame3 and MacThule
    Reaction score
    Mmmm... I use beams/canons for my anti missiles turrets and i had so far got about 50% success in destroying incoming missiles.
    Good to know. As far as determining a better starting point for us, how many missiles are you firing, what is their damage, and how many/big are your AMS turrets?

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    For beams, if you are using beam-beam, they are very inaccurate when used by AI, but other beams work just fine for me.
    Beam-cannon isn't any better from what I've seen. I've been testing with both.

I use beams/canons for my anti missiles turrets and i had so far got about 50% success in destroying incoming missiles.
    Wait - beam primary is actually working for PD now? I tried it a couple weeks ago and got no love (though now I think of it, beams might have been broken at the time). And 50% effectiveness as well - that's exciting.

Reaction score
    I'll be testing turrets soon. Things are still massively in flux as my most recent tests with fixed weapons were wildly different than just earlier in the week (beams and missiles now seem even more OP, cannons a little less dodgy but still bad).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I'll be testing turrets soon. Things are still massively in flux as my most recent tests with fixed weapons were wildly different than just earlier in the week (beams and missiles now seem even more OP, cannons a little less dodgy but still bad).
    I've noticed a constant stream of minor improvements as well. It's nice, but yeah - no way anything can be assumed to stay where it is right now.