AI Ideas Thread

What Ideas should be added

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Does anyone know how I can transfer this to suggestions?

Artificial intelligence(AI) in Starmade currently very simple, it has a single block, the Bobby AI module, which can be edited with three settings, turret/ship, what it should aim at (Astronauts, Missiles, Selected target, or Any) and an activation toggle. This thread is to find ideas to expand AI uses, give it more complex workings, and all other ideas we may come across. AI will be considered as the player creating ships or ships spawning with modifications(through certain blocks like AI blocks or programmable settings) that allow the ship to do things without a player controlling it (like auto-aiming turrets, drones that can do evasive maneuvers and fleet commands, and auto-salvaging or auto-repairing turrets or drones) or assisting the player in a function of some sort.

1. Additional settings/blocks.
    In additional settings/blocks I am assuming (like me) the community wants AI to have a variety of different uses, from Yetmania's "A Manifesto on the Relationship Between Fighters, Titans and AI" (http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-manifesto-on-the-relationship-between-fighters-titans-and-ai.1686/) that said, among other things, that it would be useful to have fleet commands such as "Return to ship" and "This group do this". I think this would help drone carriers and drone warfare, but also having commands like "After x, do y", x and y being things like "targeted ship at 50% health/shield" or "Shields at 50%" this would be a bit like Scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/), way less complex but having that sort of drag and drop programming style.

I assume this would involve an AI system with sensing blocks that would tell the main AI certain things. It would have a sensing block, that could be set to sense certain things like shield power, ie. if one of your sensor that was monitoring your shield level was destroyed, unless you programmed it to do something like head in for repairs it would stop taking data, and if the ship was programmed to retreat or send a distress signal (through another block) if it's shield went below a certain level, it would not. (Because it could not tell that it's shields were dropping).

2.Expanding AI uses.
    Right now AI will shoot at certain entities, only(?) if it is in a different faction. You cannot set it to target friendly entities, and it cannot pick certain areas to target. Because of this you cannot have healing turrets, mining turrets, or support ships. Yes, if this was implemented some things like interior healing turrets constantly healing your ship and throwing mining drones into random asteroid belts, but most of these things are things that would be great to solve, people are always talking about how mining is a pain, and others wouldn't work, or could be set with limitations like interior healing.

Edit #1

3.New blocks
    A. Sensing and programming blocks
    AI would have a programming interface that would allow you to search commands (like in factories) and then drag and drop them into a program to tell them to fly or fight in certain ways. They would also take sensor input from sensors, and could react to certain stats (if at 50% Shield, retreat to here).

Sensors that would allow AI to sense and react to things like missiles, enemy shield, and health. Programming blocks(computers?) would increase the maximum blocks of code that you could have(you would start with a small amount) , this would allow tiny turrets to function with only one additional block(a missile sensor), but ships that needed huge lines of code and be able to evade missiles and heal friendly ships(through reconfigured astrotech[see part 4] and dock and send signals would need a "brain" that would be heavily guarded.

B. Command Receiver and Fleet Command!
    Fleet Command would have different types with different stats, with drone swarm Fleet Command(short range, can control many entities, ships have a max mass[to prevent titian swarming]), probe/mining drone Fleet Command(long range, can control fewer entities of greater mass), Capital Fleet Command(can control like 5 ships of huge mass within a medium range) or turret Fleet Command(can only control docked entities). There would also be levels of Fleet command like there is of armor blocks, Advanced Fleet commands being more expensive but being able to control more/reach farther than Basic Fleet command.

Fleet Command could make you go into a different perspective sort of like in Homeworld

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=401858560&searchtext=

This would make controlling drones much easier and would take control away from your ship.
    Command Receiver would open up a ship to be controlled by fleet command. Ships have to be in the same faction(Drone hacking;)?), within the Fleet Command's range, and not overload the mass cap, or entity cap.

There could also be Fleet Command Enhancers that would increase the controlling Fleet Command's mass or entity cap. This would all take tons of power or something, so you had to have a decent sized ship or station to control a defensive field of drones.

4. Re-configuring Astrotech computers.[work in progress]
    After a while I found to work with a lot of ideas I had astrotech computers would need to be revised. My idea is that astrotech computers could be hooked up to a storage with blocks. It would use the input design in the ship core(I have heard much talk of this, it would be basically the shipyard design and putting it in the core [leave it to :schema:to find out how]) to replace blocks on the ship. It would have a punch-through beam effect that would heal all blocks in a line(and maybe an area effect too). However, when it placed blocks it would place then with one hitpoint, and AI would replace all blocks in an area(decided by the program? If you piloted it it would do where you pointed it? Give me your opinions) before starting to heal them. This would mean if you got hit by a missile you could call in support drones to heal you, but risk getting hit with another weapon that could be very weak that would destroy all of your newly placed blocks. It would also look really cool, like a scab or something glowing red as repair drones healed it.

I will be editing this later on to fit with the discussion, lets hear some ideas!

#firstpost

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This would be better in the suggestions section.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I like the concept of programming blocks, so long as it is intuitive. I also like the ideas for sensing blocks, they should hook up to the bobby AI for more advanced targeting, and should hook up to logic to send signals when the sensor detects something within configurable conditions. In addition to this, fleet command. FLEET COMMAND. This I believe is already planned.

Also Nickizzy,
    This would be better in the suggestions section.
    I agree with the above.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally, I don't think blocks are flexible enough to be the basis for AI commands. With that said, I think the AI needs to be updated with some sort of sequential, hierarchical self-verb-adjective-adjective-subject list. (Verbs: Attack, follow, flee, maintain x distance, dock, attack shields only, attack system computers, attack armor, attack thrusters, attack weapons, attack core (including faction module), attack (x, y, z) offset from core, attack (x, y, z) offset from center-of-mass, repair; Subjects could include specific targets or target types/groups, such as: stations, planets, ships, faction pirates, faction x, etc., etc., etc.; Adjectives could include friendly, hostile, neutral, less than distance x, greater than distance x, at distance x, rank selected (e.g. select targets until you reach the third selected target, and target that one), distance selected (e.g. select targets by distance until you reach the second closest, and target that one), named, type, etc., etc., etc.)

Example:
    1. First Priority
    A. Maintain x distance to ship y
    B. Attack hostile ships within distance d
    C. Flee hostile ships with mass greater than m
    2. Second Priority
    A. Mine nearest asteroid
    B. approach ship y
    C. Flee nearest star
    3. Third Priority
    A. Dock friendly carriers
    B. Dock friendly stations
    C. Dock friendly planets
    4. Fourth Priority
    A. Land on Friendly planets
    B. Land on Neutral planets
    C. Maintain x distance to neutral asteroids

This sort of thing probably requires an in-game LUA (or other scripting language of choice) interpreter.

Reaction score
    StormWing0 and Trekkerjoe
    Yes, this would be way better in the suggestion section, I just kind of got carried away with ideas.

jayman38
    As well as targeting certain blocks (like shield rechargers or missing blocks[ship designs in the core]), but that would work. I was thinking of more of a drag-and-drop search box where you could find all those commands, instead of having to look up and type them all.

I can just imagine having a drone carrier with huge drone bays jumping into a fight and swarms of drones just pouring out of it. This would also make it so Carriers would have to pull in their drones or lose them(Fleet commands only having a certain range)

P.S. New changes to the top by the way^^^^^

P.P.S. New changes to the survey^^^^^

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This is TOTALLY what I'm talking about. The problem about space management could be solved with having programming blocks increase the maximum operations it could do (so larger computer centers would be more powerful), and maybe sensor enhancers that would increase certain sensor's range or accuracy.

I'll add that to the main post.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps a faction can produce AI-points per player to make these things less OP.
    Or AI points are created per station, so that there is a reason to kill enemy stations (fight for the server's "CPU"-resource).

Things like scanners or beacons which react to intruders would be without costs as it requires player-time or AI-points from the attacker to be enabled.

Reaction score
    Maybe Computers would use power to generate AI power(what would it be called?) that would be used by AI systems. There would be a transfer of some sort between one ship and another, docking maybe, and it could be stored in computer storage blocks. AI ships could be self-AI powered or rely on storage tanks to hold power to use. It would be like the power system.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As far as the AI Programming GUI goes, i think that Scratch by MIT (https://scratch.mit.edu) might be a good thing to base it off of. Simple to use and user friendly.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe Computers would use power to generate AI power(what would it be called?) that would be used by AI systems. There would be a transfer of some sort between one ship and another, docking maybe, and it could be stored in computer storage blocks. AI ships could be self-AI powered or rely on storage tanks to hold power to use. It would be like the power system.
    Computers would trade power into CPU-cycles.
    Memory-Chips would store these CPU-cycles.
    AI-modules would use it up.
    And everything is named technically :p​

Reaction score
    Would CPU cycles decay after a certain point? It seems like it in the name. That would be cool, if CPU cycles died down over time. Maybe there could be upgraded Memory-Chips(super conductors) that would have slower decay rates. The CPU cycles in them would ether decay last, if it was stored like power, or, if we introduced each Memory-chip containing it's own CPU then each chip would decay at the same time. Or they could just not decay at all.

Edit-
    What would be the ratio of power to CPU? 10:1, like weapons and shields?
    On player controlled ships(or ships in general) you could need to use the computers like jumpdrives, except it would, instead of charging, give CPU, at a certain rate per click depending on the computer size. This would mean inrder to make a self dependent ship you would need to set up a logic clock to activate the computers, but players(by spam clicking) could earn cpu much faster.

Last edited: