Planned [Again] Stairs/Ramps/Climbable 1/2-slabs

Reaction score
    Hello. Yeah, again, this is a post about slabs/stairs/ramps.

Slabs are great. Thing is, I've started playing starmade years ago and have, since then, been using wedges for stairways (which I require a lot).

My stairways consist of wedges and full blocks, so one "step" has a full block and a wedge. This is neat, because it's not that steep AND I can now use 1/2 slabs to make it look less strange. Unfortunately however, the player character is not able to climb 1/2 slabs without jumping.

People around here do not seem to like stairs. I'm okay with that, and honestly, I would like "ramps" (meaning 2-block-wedges, like the ones Spance Engineers is using) much better.

So yeah, those are my suggestions. Pick one:
    - make the player character able to climb 1/2 slabs
    - ramps
    - stairs.

Good day!

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    People around here do not seem to like stairs. I'm okay with that, and honestly, I would like "ramps" (meaning 2-block-wedges, like the ones Spance Engineers is using) much better.
    Stairs get suggested very often. No one really knows why they don't exist yet in the game.

For the ramps: If I remember correctly, something like this (aka. wedge slabs) are planned and coming someday soon

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you need to preface your suggestion with "again", then you don't need to make that suggestion.

Reaction score
    I quote:

- make the player character able to climb 1/2 slabs

Haven't seen that one before, so I wanted to leave that here. I know stairs and ramps have already been suggested.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Stairs, ramps, and slopes do not exist because adding them would take up a fuckload of IDs.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I myself once suggested a half-wedge ramp. You'll just have to simulate ramps and stairs with wedges. Everybody does it. After a while, the shame of compromise goes away. :p

It's like the issue of The Unsurmountable Waist-High Fence, which I find extremely funny, yet frustrating.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    a waist high fence. now thats a good idea for a new block
    Ya! No sarcasm at all; the self-cornering fence and iron-bars in MC are very versatile for adding greeblies to a build. I have hopes that pipes will be made to self-join for right-angles (and 45 degrees would not suck either). Also, I think the fence is meant to keep the chickens in, we just can't jump any higher than a chicken. :(

As far as ramps go I believe Schine has already said NO to that. Wedges seem to work fine for me so...

Dare I hijack this thread for a really useful block that needs just one block-ID: ________________________the humble ladder? H

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Ya! No sarcasm at all; the self-cornering fence and iron-bars in MC are very versatile for adding greeblies to a build. I have hopes that pipes will be made to self-join for right-angles (and 45 degrees would not suck either). Also, I think the fence is meant to keep the chickens in, we just can't jump any higher than a chicken. :(

As far as ramps go I believe Schine has already said NO to that. Wedges seem to work fine for me so...

Dare I hijack this thread for a really useful block that needs just one block-ID: ________________________the humble ladder? H
    not sure about one block-ID. we do have to consider multiple gravity angles. maybe it could have as many orientations as wedges.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you need to preface your suggestion with "again", then you don't need to make that suggestion.
    Not true. A single suggesting for something that gets a lot of likes and quickly falls off the radar indicates a flash in the pan idea, a fad. An idea that keeps coming up over and over and over again by many different people indicate a far greater desire by the playerbase.

I would put more weight in an idea that is brought up every month or two by new people each time than I do in one really popular one that nobody ever mentions again.
    [doublepost=1474310818,1474310222][/doublepost]
    You'll just have to simulate ramps and stairs with wedges. Everybody does it. After a while, the shame of compromise goes away. :p
    I find that these have problems with gravity, or at least they used to. Going from slab to slab on the floor had a bad habit of knocking me out of gravity alignment while I was walking around.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Okay, so I'd like to clear some things up regarding these items, as it seems there's been some miscommunication here. Stairs, Ladders, Handrails/Fence, and slabs were in fact all discussed in our latest meeting with the council. HOWEVER, ladders are not officially planned, stairs are in fact a maybe, and climbable half-slabs was merely a suggestion I gave out. What I can say is fairly likely will happen is handrails, which if oriented a certain way also look like fences. This is based off the prototype I spent about 10 minutes making, so it could change where the appearance of a fence isn't as obvious.

Now I know where would be a lot of follow-up questions if I left it at that, so I'll give some further explanation broken down item by item:

Stairs - Stairs would be nothing more than an aesthetic block with the hitbox of a wedge. As such there would be no real benefit to adding them right now when walking up a wedge and walking up stairs perform exactly the same task with only an aesthetic difference. I realize we are adding other aesthetic blocks currently, but the decision from the team was to table the final decision on stairs (as well as ladders) until a later point of development.

Ladders - Ladders are a bit of a different story, while their final decision has also been delayed until later development, this is more because there would have to be a system created to make them function correctly, this is not something I have any knowledge as to the workings of as I'm not a programmer. Making the model is easy, making it so you can climb it, or are attached, or however it would work is beyond my knowledge as a graphic artist. Because it would require time for Schema to work on this block the final decision has been postponed until later in development.

Climbable Half-Slabs - This was merely a suggestion I made for an alternative to stairs, if a player was able to climb half-slabs. As such I don't know if it will be made possible or not, but I wanted to reiterate that it was simply a suggestion of mine to the rest of the dev team.

Now here's the good news. Handrails, as I've taken to calling them are purely an aesthetic block, and while I was initially opposed to the idea (as I felt slabs completed the same task just fine) after speaking with the council about it I saw the benefits such an item could have. So later in our staff meeting I made a quick prototype and am fond of how it turned out. Right-side up the hand rail resembles that used on Firefly-class transports from the show Firefly. Upside down they should do a fine job portraying a fence (unless their design changes). When used in unison with other handrails they can be used as grates, vents, or even prison bars. Because of this versatility I now feel it could be a beneficial block for players and should be able to implement it without much trouble. So unless I hear otherwise directly from Schema, we should be getting handrails in the near future. I'll keep people updated on the details of that on my thread in "Schine!"

Anyway I hope that explains it, I know people want stairs, I know people want ladders, but I wanted to make sure things were clear with where we stood now, we aren't ready to make a final decision on them, but I'm aware of the communities desire to have them.

Reactions: Thalanor and Az14el

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Okay, so I'd like to clear some things up regarding these items, as it seems there's been some miscommunication here. Stairs, Ladders, Handrails/Fence, and slabs were in fact all discussed in our latest meeting with the council. HOWEVER, ladders are not officially planned, stairs are in fact a maybe, and climbable half-slabs was merely a suggestion I gave out. What I can say is fairly likely will happen is handrails, which if oriented a certain way also look like fences. This is based off the prototype I spent about 10 minutes making, so it could change where the appearance of a fence isn't as obvious.

Now I know where would be a lot of follow-up questions if I left it at that, so I'll give some further explanation broken down item by item:

Stairs - Stairs would be nothing more than an aesthetic block with the hitbox of a wedge. As such there would be no real benefit to adding them right now when walking up a wedge and walking up stairs perform exactly the same task with only an aesthetic difference. I realize we are adding other aesthetic blocks currently, but the decision from the team was to table the final decision on stairs (as well as ladders) until a later point of development.

Ladders - Ladders are a bit of a different story, while their final decision has also been delayed until later development, this is more because there would have to be a system created to make them function correctly, this is not something I have any knowledge as to the workings of as I'm not a programmer. Making the model is easy, making it so you can climb it, or are attached, or however it would work is beyond my knowledge as a graphic artist. Because it would require time for Schema to work on this block the final decision has been postponed until later in development.

Climbable Half-Slabs - This was merely a suggestion I made for an alternative to stairs, if a player was able to climb half-slabs. As such I don't know if it will be made possible or not, but I wanted to reiterate that it was simply a suggestion of mine to the rest of the dev team.

Now here's the good news. Handrails, as I've taken to calling them are purely an aesthetic block, and while I was initially opposed to the idea (as I felt slabs completed the same task just fine) after speaking with the council about it I saw the benefits such an item could have. So later in our staff meeting I made a quick prototype and am fond of how it turned out. Right-side up the hand rail resembles that used on Firefly-class transports from the show Firefly. Upside down they should do a fine job portraying a fence (unless their design changes). When used in unison with other handrails they can be used as grates, vents, or even prison bars. Because of this versatility I now feel it could be a beneficial block for players and should be able to implement it without much trouble. So unless I hear otherwise directly from Schema, we should be getting handrails in the near future. I'll keep people updated on the details of that on my thread in "Schine!"

Anyway I hope that explains it, I know people want stairs, I know people want ladders, but I wanted to make sure things were clear with where we stood now, we aren't ready to make a final decision on them, but I'm aware of the communities desire to have them.
    oops sry bout the misinformation. Was trying to remember all the details.