Read by Council Advanced Jump Drive/Hyperspace drive

Reaction score
    Today, every really good ship has a jump drive and (maybe), a jump inhibitor.
    As a normal StarMade player, I love to travel in StarMade universe, building ships, fighting pirates and (some) players.
    I suggest to create a new, advanced version of a jump drive. I think, It should work like that: ship enters "jump mode", where it stays during the travel, and depending on the distance, time of staying in this mode can change.
    Of course, It will absorb a lot of energy, maybe, if ship can't provide enough energy, it can absorb even shields. This is where we can add "dark matter energy source", which is very dangerous, but effective in providing billions (or smth like that) of energy.
    But if ship has no energy, no shields?, it will drop out of the jump mode, and the most important - with no shield, no energy(for those, who love to be a pirate)
    And here comes my favorite part - during your travel you can walk in your ship, upgrading it, repairing, maybe even fixing exterior errors.
    I suggest it, because travelling
    is one of the main parts of StarMade gameplay and I, like every other player, want to see this game evolving every year.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    FoxProject Am I correct when I say you are suggesting something very similar to EVE online?
    What I like about the idea is that you don't have to hold down a button long to see a cool animation for 2 seconds. But how would the jump inhibitor work with such a jump drive?
    New energy sources are in general difficult ideas, they can easily unbalance everything. So how would your source work? Would it produce energy by consuming shields? What do you mean with using shields? When would such thing happen? Why would it happen (logical reasoning)
    How would it balance for small, medium and big ships?

tag or quote me to get a faster response

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I dont think we need a new energy for this. It could use the normal power of SM and when your power pool is empty you get a debuff for your power regeneration. Maybe no power for 30sec.?
    And a jumpinhibitor could increase the power costs or interrupt the jump mode. So if you fly near a active jump inhibitor you fall back into the normal space - maybe with a debuff depending on the size of the inhib and the jd.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Im curious about how this dark matter mechanic will work. Can you give us details? Also aren't cap ships supposed to get something like this?

Reaction score
    First: I think normal (classic) jump inhibitor won't do any harm to the AJD (Advanced Jump Drive). Maybe we can also add an Advanced Jump Inhibitor, which can stop any ship in travel mode.
    Second: Every really good ship, not a starter, has a good amount of shield capacity and regeneration. I said, that if ship has not enough energy to travel, energy can be drowned from shields, turning them off for some time.
    Third: I agree, we can use normal energy source, but on my idea, travelling will absorb energy during it, so ships without a really strong source will drop out every minute.
    New energy source, as I called it "Dark Matter source", can be very effective and provide enough energy to travel on long distances, like through 2 galaxies (why not).
    I suggested it, because I hate to stop every 2 seconds, having no idea, where I'll stop, I want just to have an opportunity to travel to my destination safe and sound.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460659800,1460659584][/DOUBLEPOST]
    FoxProject Am I correct when I say you are suggesting something very similar to EVE online?
    What I like about the idea is that you don't have to hold down a button long to see a cool animation for 2 seconds. But how would the jump inhibitor work with such a jump drive?
    New energy sources are in general difficult ideas, they can easily unbalance everything. So how would your source work? Would it produce energy by consuming shields? What do you mean with using shields? When would such thing happen? Why would it happen (logical reasoning)

Sorry, missed, replying.
    Addition: I don't think there's equivalent of my idea in other games, I took inspiration from StarGate system

Reaction score
    What you're suggesting is a hyper drive or warp drive, not a jump drive.
    Warp or hyper drives basically let ships exceed the speed of light. Starmade is a video game, thus ships are already not limited by the speed of light. However, due to server limitations, there is an artificial speed limit on ships to prevent them from crashing the server.

Here's a crash course on faster-than-light (ftl) travel.

Imagine if you threw a rock in space. Depending on the mass of the rock, it would travel at a certain speed. In space, it would travel at that speed indefinitely unless it runs into something. If you threw another rock that had half the mass of the first rock, it would travel twice as fast. The less mass the rock has, the faster it travels. So what happens if you throw a rock with zero mass? It would travel at the speed of light. Light has zero mass, so it travels infinitely fast. However, things in our universe cannot exceed the speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. This is the Universal Speed Limit, or speed of light in our universe.

Problem is, the speed of light is extraordinarily slow on a cosmic scale. It would take years traveling at the speed of light to reach the nearest star. For the sake of convenience, science fiction uses a few hypothetical ftl methods to travel; warp drive, hyper drive and jump drive.
    Jump drives move a ship from one point in space to another instantaneously. Starmade has jump drives.
    Warp drives warp the fabric of space or reality around them, allowing them to exceed the Universal Speed Limit.
    Hyper drives allow a ship to enter a different dimension (hyperspace). In this dimension, either there is no Universal Speed Limit or dimensions are different; 1 meter in hyperspace could equal 10, 100, or any amount of meters in real space.
    I took inspiration from StarGate system
    Stargate has hyper drives. Their ships open a subspace window into a different dimension where the laws of physics are different and they can travel at speeds faster than light.

From a game design perspective, hyper drives aren't different enough from jump drives to warrant their inclusion.

Jump Drive: Spend time charging Jump Drive - Activate - End up at destination.
    Hyper Drive: Activate - Spend time in hyperspace - End up at destination.
    Warp Drive: Change server configs to allow higher speeds - Watch as server burns - Stay warm in the winter.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    +1 to long term warpdrives.
    However, due to server limitations, there is an artificial speed limit on ships to prevent them from crashing the server.
    This is because if you go to fast things do not load fast enough, and collision checks when you hit something are really big and weird. Or a structure can generate on top of you, and that can crash the game because your ship bounces back and forth inside blocks.

The way to solve this is either to have faster tickrate and generation(this means more cpu usage and more lag, slightly counterproductive for now), plot a path in front of the ship where it is going and collision check there(which would make the game freeze for a second everytime something changed it's tragectory), make some jumping setup so the ship would, if going fast enough, jump through objects*, or make it a ghost ship or not affect any other ship physically, or in any other way, in the movement.

This is what warp drives could do, accelerate you to astronomical speeds at a high power cost, and if you enter an inhibitor radius you get knocked out with zero speed. Same with if you run out of power, you fall out but also lose regen that slowly climbs back to normal rates over 20 seconds.

*this would be awsome if there was a microjump computer that when activated:
    1.Increased your max speed (like, x10-20), decreases turning ability, and doubles or tripples engine power usage
    2. If you are going faster than a certain speed(at least .5 past max server speedSuper quote here!), then if it detects an object in or close to the ship's future location(draw a graph of where it is going), then it will"jump" to the other side of the object just before it hits it. The jump takes 10,000(what should it be?) power per meter the core moves, if the ship does not have enough power it will jump through but stop, all power and shields will die and not come online for 15 seconds, slowly the regen rate goes back to normal in a nother 20 seconds.
    It would make a really cool noise too. Just a side thought that someone should make a thread about.

Reaction score
    It sounds like you need a chain drive.

Copy Pastable Logic Jump Drive
    I've used this technology, but this is just a half of my idea, it's still a classic jump drive without possibility to walk in your ship during travel.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460715380,1460715239][/DOUBLEPOST]
    What you're suggesting is a hyper drive or warp drive, not a jump drive.
    Warp or hyper drives basically let ships exceed the speed of light. Starmade is a video game, thus ships are already not limited by the speed of light. However, due to server limitations, there is an artificial speed limit on ships to prevent them from crashing the server.

Here's a crash course on faster-than-light (ftl) travel.

Imagine if you threw a rock in space. Depending on the mass of the rock, it would travel at a certain speed. In space, it would travel at that speed indefinitely unless it runs into something. If you threw another rock that had half the mass of the first rock, it would travel twice as fast. The less mass the rock has, the faster it travels. So what happens if you throw a rock with zero mass? It would travel at the speed of light. Light has zero mass, so it travels infinitely fast. However, things in our universe cannot exceed the speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. This is the Universal Speed Limit, or speed of light in our universe.

Problem is, the speed of light is extraordinarily slow on a cosmic scale. It would take years traveling at the speed of light to reach the nearest star. For the sake of convenience, science fiction uses a few hypothetical ftl methods to travel; warp drive, hyper drive and jump drive.
    Jump drives move a ship from one point in space to another instantaneously. Starmade has jump drives.
    Warp drives warp the fabric of space or reality around them, allowing them to exceed the Universal Speed Limit.
    Hyper drives allow a ship to enter a different dimension (hyperspace). In this dimension, either there is no Universal Speed Limit or dimensions are different; 1 meter in hyperspace could equal 10, 100, or any amount of meters in real space.

Stargate has hyper drives. Their ships open a subspace window into a different dimension where the laws of physics are different and they can travel at speeds faster than light.

From a game design perspective, hyper drives aren't different enough from jump drives to warrant their inclusion.

Jump Drive: Spend time charging Jump Drive - Activate - End up at destination.
    Hyper Drive: Activate - Spend time in hyperspace - End up at destination.
    Warp Drive: Change server configs to allow higher speeds - Watch as server burns - Stay warm in the winter.
    Well, I don't want to burn anyones servers;)
    Hyperspace, good idea to put travelling ship in another dimension and eject it, when it'll be ready.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    (at least .5 past max server speedSuper quote here!)

[DOUBLEPOST=1460721656,1460721005][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I've used this technology, but this is just a half of my idea, it's still a classic jump drive without possibility to walk in your ship during travel.
    Hyperspace, good idea to put travelling ship in another dimension and eject it, when it'll be ready.
    I like the idea of Hyperspace travel (big Babylon 5 fan, here) but, how do you navigate while you are travelling?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

It'll just stop anyone flying through the sector that's inhibited, I'd assume... That way things like defense perimeters set up in sectors have some use.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of Hyperspace travel (big Babylon 5 fan, here) but, how do you navigate while you are travelling?
    Ideas here:
    +1 to long term warpdrives.

This is because if you go to fast things do not load fast enough, and collision checks when you hit something are really big and weird. Or a structure can generate on top of you, and that can crash the game because your ship bounces back and forth inside blocks.

The way to solve this is either to have faster tickrate and generation(this means more cpu usage and more lag, slightly counterproductive for now), plot a path in front of the ship where it is going and collision check there(which would make the game freeze for a second everytime something changed it's tragectory), make some jumping setup so the ship would, if going fast enough, jump through objects*, or make it a ghost ship or not affect any other ship physically, or in any other way, in the movement.

This is what warp drives could do, accelerate you to astronomical speeds at a high power cost, and if you enter an inhibitor radius you get knocked out with zero speed. Same with if you run out of power, you fall out but also lose regen that slowly climbs back to normal rates over 20 seconds.

*this would be awsome if there was a microjump computer that when activated:
    1.Increased your max speed (like, x10-20), decreases turning ability, and doubles or tripples engine power usage
    2. If you are going faster than a certain speed(at least .5 past max server speedSuper quote here!), then if it detects an object in or close to the ship's future location(draw a graph of where it is going), then it will"jump" to the other side of the object just before it hits it. The jump takes 10,000(what should it be?) power per meter the core moves, if the ship does not have enough power it will jump through but stop, all power and shields will die and not come online for 15 seconds, slowly the regen rate goes back to normal in a nother 20 seconds.
    It would make a really cool noise too. Just a side thought that someone should make a thread about.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460724476][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It sounds like you need a chain drive.

Copy Pastable Logic Jump Drive
    Yes. Yes yes yes. Thank you.

Reaction score
    That's a workaround for a shitty mechanic.
    Someday I hope someone will say that to my
    idea:https://starmadedock.net/threads/factory-automation-factorio-style.24576/:D
    Shameless self advertizing and hijacking of thread.

Now. I have to make this post useful.

Hmm.......

That's a workaround for a shitty mechanic.
    Actually, no. It is using logic to effect things outside of strictly logic blocks. It really is just like making auto swarm-missiles or cannon missiles. Or just about all moduar designs. It's making use of activation to charge and automate an otherwise boring (and somewhat needless, and now avoidable,) process.

Reaction score

[DOUBLEPOST=1460721656,1460721005][/DOUBLEPOST]

If I am right, ship, travelling in hyperspace, has no need in additional navigation. You just set destination in CPU (or in map), and then, your ship enters new space/dimension, where it stays for some time, which depends on distance.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think hyperspace would be a pretty cool thing though I believe a different dimension isn't a thing yet, after some of my experiments on a build server I found out that the shipyard "simulation dimension" is actually just a location like 98423,14354,12341 and I think that means they don't have actual dimension yet plus having a dimension could possibly mean a loading screen, something that would never be added to StarMade if I remember right.

Reaction score
    I think hyperspace would be a pretty cool thing though I believe a different dimension isn't a thing yet, after some of my experiments on a build server I found out that the shipyard "simulation dimension" is actually just a location like 98423,14354,12341 and I think that means they don't have actual dimension yet plus having a dimension could possibly mean a loading screen, something that would never be added to StarMade if I remember right.
    Make the loading screen the jump animation. It covers the screen anyway.

Last edited:
    Reactions: HolyCookie

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is no need for a seperate dimension; just cut off the ship and its occupants from everyone else. People in the ship wouldn't load things in the sector they're flying through and people in the sector wouldn't see the ship either. Also, it would be impossible to un-align from the ship while at warp. If you wanted, everyone in the ship could see some kind of fancy effect in the background, too...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    There is no need for a seperate dimension; just cut off the ship and its occupants from everyone else. People in the ship wouldn't load things in the sector they're flying through and people in the sector wouldn't see the ship either. Also, it would be impossible to un-align from the ship while at warp. If you wanted, everyone in the ship could see some kind of fancy effect in the background, too...
    +1
    Doesn't this happen sort of with worm holes? You go really really fast, and don't load much suff in, this might be because it gets outof your render distance to fast, but it's really hard to get out of.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nope. Wormhole systems are just completely empty; your map will show this.