Additional Map/sector_chmod Functionality

Chckn Wildstyle

Design Head of Cabal Weapons/Technologies (CWT)
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is a dire need for a better implementation of the sector_chmod system in conjunction with the 3D map that we already have, as well as just a little bit more map functionality. This will help with in game functionality of survival characters and general administration on multiplayer servers, as currently, it is really difficult to run any kind of multiplayer server without the rules of basically: Go do stuff and don't be a bigot IDK.

-----ADDITIONAL MAP FUNCTIONALITY-----
    1) Sectors with chmod commands implemented on them should have the ability to be highlighted individually with either a checkerboard or stripe pattern with different colors in the 3D Map. This way people would be able to see the specific admin commands placed on the sector.
    2) sector_chmod commands should be able to be administered en-masse from the 3D map by selecting the two opposite vertexes of a rectangular prism. Sort of the way World Edit in Minecraft works with the brush tool. This will allow a more versatile use of the map and will make doing interesting things server side to keep the player population intrigued much easier.

-----ADDITIONAL sector_chmod COMMANDS-----
    1) +/- nojumpto
    Does not allow a player to jump drive into a sector with this setting by cancelling their jump.
    2) +/- nojumpfrom
    Does not allow a player to jump drive out of a sector with this setting by cancelling their jump.
    3) +/- nojumpthrough
    Does not allow a player's jump line to go through a sector with this setting by dropping them in the adjacent sector to the one with the setting found by the jump line. This would allow boundaries to be set up on servers so that a specific area of play could be defined, either funneling players in to certain areas or just generally limiting the size of the server to induce more player interaction.
    4) +/- nogatethrough (a derivation of the nojumpthrough command)
    Does not allow a warp gate to be linked that draws a line through this sector. This could feasibly make interesting obstacles to placement of gates from some sort of in game role-play element.

In conclusion, not that much of a hard thing to implement would bring so much to this game and would not force anything on to server owners and admins at all, it would be completely optional to use.

I urge Schine to make this a high priority and pump it out soon because it would be such a great addition to the game that would feasibly have no dissenters as it is only additional functionality.

Reactions: nightrune

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This reminds me of the limits on the testing sector for shipyards.
    Makes sense to have these as admin commands if you want to have sectors that are off limits.
    I can see this would be great for dev and test as well.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The code for +/- nojumpthrough would be the same code needed for the extension to warp inhibitor functionality that people are asking for... It'd be nice.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've been told this will increase the amount of customization server owners have. It will also solve the issue between those who want a survival experience and those who want a more casual PVP experience similar to fractured space or arena commander in Star Citizen. I can see how this feature will also allow roleplay servers to thrive and allow much more engaging experiences like GM ran campaigns where they could lock everyone in a sector and limit the amount of participants entering or leaving the zone during a dynamic event.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    There is a dire need for a better implementation of the sector_chmod system in conjunction with the 3D map that we already have, as well as just a little bit more map functionality. This will help with in game functionality of survival characters and general administration on multiplayer servers, as currently, it is really difficult to run any kind of multiplayer server without the rules of basically: Go do stuff and don't be a bigot IDK.

-----ADDITIONAL MAP FUNCTIONALITY-----
    1) Sectors with chmod commands implemented on them should have the ability to be highlighted individually with either a checkerboard or stripe pattern with different colors in the 3D Map. This way people would be able to see the specific admin commands placed on the sector.
    2) sector_chmod commands should be able to be administered en-masse from the 3D map by selecting the two opposite vertexes of a rectangular prism. Sort of the way World Edit in Minecraft works with the brush tool. This will allow a more versatile use of the map and will make doing interesting things server side to keep the player population intrigued much easier.

-----ADDITIONAL sector_chmod COMMANDS-----
    1) +/- nojumpto
    Does not allow a player to jump drive into a sector with this setting by cancelling their jump.
    2) +/- nojumpfrom
    Does not allow a player to jump drive out of a sector with this setting by cancelling their jump.
    3) +/- nojumpthrough
    Does not allow a player's jump line to go through a sector with this setting by dropping them in the adjacent sector to the one with the setting found by the jump line. This would allow boundaries to be set up on servers so that a specific area of play could be defined, either funneling players in to certain areas or just generally limiting the size of the server to induce more player interaction.
    4) +/- nogatethrough (a derivation of the nojumpthrough command)
    Does not allow a warp gate to be linked that draws a line through this sector. This could feasibly make interesting obstacles to placement of gates from some sort of in game role-play element.

In conclusion, not that much of a hard thing to implement would bring so much to this game and would not force anything on to server owners and admins at all, it would be completely optional to use.

I urge Schine to make this a high priority and pump it out soon because it would be such a great addition to the game that would feasibly have no dissenters as it is only additional functionality.
    I agree with this. Though I would also like to see some new settings that apply to fog of war. Though I think this may be outside of the scope of this topic, so I will create a new topic or add to another about that.

Chckn Wildstyle

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree with this. Though I would also like to see some new settings that apply to fog of war. Though I think this may be outside of the scope of this topic, so I will create a new topic or add to another about that.
    I imagine that this system (if implemented) of shading specific sectors based on the current effects of the sector could be abstracted fairly easily into fog of war settings denoting the amount of time that the sector has not been scanned. It would make the map much more lively, and I know that they plan to improve the map in the future. This in conjunction with the new scanning system that is coming with the power update would be a great improvement of the game. I would have an addendum to my original post though:

5) +/- nogatefrom
    Does not allow the establishment of a warp gate line from the specific sector, allowing gate lines to go through or to the sector but not originate in it.
    6) +/- nogateto
    Does not allow the establishment of a warp gate line to the specific sector, allowing gates lines to go through or from the sector but not terminate in it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Solid suggestion. Being able to limit access to sectors (e.g ship flying across not jumping) would also be appreciated.
    Also one for creating an asteroid spawning sector and other map and enviromental controls would be greatly appreciated.
    Setting sectors/objects as invunrable, creating various apwning points, etc

Reactions: Chckn Wildstyle

Chckn Wildstyle

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Solid suggestion. Being able to limit access to sectors (e.g ship flying across not jumping) would also be appreciated.
    Also one for creating an asteroid spawning sector and other map and enviromental controls would be greatly appreciated.
    Setting sectors/objects as invunrable, creating various apwning points, etc
    I had this idea specifically from administrating servers and all the hassle that comes with actually keeping people in specific places of the map as to not generate new galaxies for one person to piss off to. These functionalities would make event planning much easier and add a measure of freshness to the StarMade play space as admins can just off the top of their head add interesting effects to the map.

This implementation would also pave the way for all sorts of other things that could be added to the existing framework. Servers are already hard enough to run, this would help with running them a lot.