Add Power per shot to Weapon Menu

Reaction score
    DISCLAIMER
    {I know that this is the Dev version, and what I'm proposing may already be in the works. I'm just mentioning this in case nobody else thought about it.}

While testing out the DEV branch I ran into a very annoying UI issue with trying to figure out how much power each weapon system draws. It's basically impossible to tell how much power your weapons are going to need without going into the menu for each system, and writing it all down on a spreadsheet.​

So if you have more than 1 weapon system per ship it's extremely hard to gauge power consumption.

So I'm proposing 2 possible solutions to this. Or you could implement both at the same time.

A: Add separate entries for power consumption for each module type in the build menu
    e.x.
    Shields: 450,000
    Cannons 75,000
    Missiles 225,000
    Jump Drive 78,000
    Thrusters 95,000
    Total: 923,000

B: Add an entry for power consumption by group in the Weapons system menu so that you don't have to look at all of the data for each weapon system to get a feel for the power draw.
    You could also add an entries for Damage Per Shot, and penetration but that's unrelated.

Reactions: Xskyth

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is a useful idea. A minor nitpick is, there no longer is a "power per shot" as such, there is only "active reload consumption" and "passive consumption". Of course, you could just multiply the former by time to get a fixed amount, but it's not a very useful number in this largely capacity-free new power system.

Reaction score
    Active, and passive consumption works a lot like power per shot for cannons at least.

Reaction score
    this > so much > "It's basically impossible to tell how much power your weapons are going to need without going into the menu for each system, and writing it all down on a spreadsheet." ...

So far this is looking far from more intuitive, more simple, or more fun :/ ... i think people like me who are not exactly fans of stabaliser-2.0 on its own merits, really would like to see where the positive impacts will be on other game mechanics, and what things have changed for the better. So far, other than buff-chambers, no reactor-threading, and less blocks, I don't really see inherent benefit of the systems-power...currently it is hard to work out what power usage is going to be with multiple weapons recharging at different times/rates, other systems in/out of use etc.

in dev, sure, but I thought the key aim/benefit for the Team was to make early building easier...this iteration does not feel particularly easy, except in relation to physical placement of reactor blocks > or rather feels like one has to spend a very long time upping/lowering module counts across multiple systems at once to keep within the viable power bracket....getting that wrong results in lots of useless/massively under performing systems/weapons.

Some kind of data as the OP suggests would be needed i feel...at which point we are thinking almost in terms of capacity....

Reaction score
    This isn't a problem with the new power system, it's a UI issue that I haven't really thought about until I had to learn some kind of weird new power thingey.

The only gripe that I have with the power system so far is that the reactor/stabilizer distance feels too high, (Or reactors are too weak).
    Every design that I tested HAS to have the Reactor at the back end, and a stabilizer module or two at the front, and some systems still feel a little too power hungry.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If Schine provided all the different power variables to Display modules and allowed us to also transfer the values or string results in Display modules from these variables, you could build a Display module based monitoring system to provide status updates more intuitively.

Hmm.... could we?