Ability to link weapons between rail-docked ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    At the moment, turrets are extremely limited, as you have to fit the whole master, slave, and effect modules, as well as the computer, in one part of the turret. This restricts the ability to build effective weapons, and makes battleship-style guns (with a rotating base and elevating barrel) extremely weak and impractical. With the ability to link a "master" weapon system in a barrel to a "slave" and effect system in the base of a turret, we gain the ability to build more effective turrets with the new system, and get a purpose to the currently near-useless base segment of a turret.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    All of the yes to this. It really does make designing turrets rather anti-intuitive. The base has zero purpose other than to turn the thing, and maybe add some shields or power?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    And heck, adding shields to the base is near-pointless, given that so long as your ship has >50% shields, your turrets are invincible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    And heck, adding shields to the base is near-pointless, given that so long as your ship has >50% shields, your turrets are invincible.
    I disagree. While the ship does provide shields until 50% of shields is reached, that is not the end of the battle. Even 2000 shields will keep your turrets alive a little longer, giving you a better chance to survive. Also, turret designs have already radically changed, and I have two in development that have full primary/secondary/tertiary plus power in the barrel. It just requires getting fancy/imaginative.

OP, I agree to your idea and propose that this be implemented like so:
    Both computers must be docked to rail turret axes before connection can happen, and can only be done wile in build mode on the base, to prevent this being exploited

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Careful! Buff turrets too much and they'll be severely overpowered since they partially share shields with the mothership now! From the standpoint of actually trying to build the things, I like the idea though. Just about the only thing you can do with the base is put power and shields in there. However, I don't think there should ever be ANY weapon linking between the turret and mothership.

Reaction score
    ^That. For slaving purposes I think the base and the barrel should be classed as the same entity. That said, with the HP update on the way I wouldn't be surprised if a change to how shielding works is around the corner.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    At the moment, turrets are extremely limited, as you have to fit the whole master, slave, and effect modules, as well as the computer, in one part of the turret. This restricts the ability to build effective weapons, and makes battleship-style guns (with a rotating base and elevating barrel) extremely weak and impractical. With the ability to link a "master" weapon system in a barrel to a "slave" and effect system in the base of a turret, we gain the ability to build more effective turrets with the new system, and get a purpose to the currently near-useless base segment of a turret.
    Couldn't agree more :)