A suggestion for "fixing" lag caused by collision checks

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm not good yet with code based articulation, so forgive me if I sound like a pleb.
    So while talking in chat I discovered that the reason collisions are such a problem is that each block has to be calculated for a collision with the other entities nearby. I will say now that I DO NOT know how well this would work, but my idea is this: Make a collision mesh that wraps around the ship, and simplifies it's structure. ofc weapons will pass through and do regular damage to a ship's blocks. As a ship takes damage, add a low priority process that updates the mesh, but instead of completely recreating the mesh, just find the areas that have been damaged and update those. This could be completed by comparing the blueprint of the ship to the actual one. This will already be partially implemented when schema fixes the repair function of the shipyard.
    Devs, lemme know why this won't work plox, because I'm sure I missed something.

edit: how do I add tags I forgot too D:

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    it does this check for every block on a ship with all nearby entities? It's no wonder collision checks cause lag.

I wonder if it tests all points, or just the points facing the entity. lol, is that even possible / feasible?

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not good yet with code based articulation, so forgive me if I sound like a pleb.
    So while talking in chat I discovered that the reason collisions are such a problem is that each block has to be calculated for a collision with the other entities nearby. I will say now that I DO NOT know how well this would work, but my idea is this: Make a collision mesh that wraps around the ship, and simplifies it's structure. ofc weapons will pass through and do regular damage to a ship's blocks. As a ship takes damage, add a low priority process that updates the mesh, but instead of completely recreating the mesh, just find the areas that have been damaged and update those. This could be completed by comparing the blueprint of the ship to the actual one. This will already be partially implemented when schema fixes the repair function of the shipyard.
    Devs, lemme know why this won't work plox, because I'm sure I missed something.

edit: how do I add tags I forgot too D:
    You might find this to be interesting: