A some what different and easier to implement Paint proposal.

Reaction score
    Now then, first off I'd like to say I did do a search into the topic and found a few different suggestions from up to a few years ago. And while many people have suggested being able to have a paint gun or something to recolor hulls, that would most likely require new code, meanwhile my idea is a quick and simple way to do this and can also act as a half way step.

First off we have the Micro Assembler ... now let's be honest, how many of you actually use one constantly? And I mean really use it? Most of the people I know just have one on the off chance they accidentally get some scraps and that’s it. So why don't we give that block some purpose that would guarantee a lot more use?

Basically, have the MA also work as a paint stripper. Just input the hull/armor into the MA and out comes a grey hull/armor, the paint is just destroyed in the process (getting paint is extremely easy anyway, and we could really use a way to burn the excess amount of capsuled minerals we eventually end up having). After that you could just paint said hull already in the basic factory, we could also have recipes added to also paint the standard and advanced armors, probably in the basic factory as well, since it's just you know, painting.

To summarize for lazy people:

- Add recipes to Micro Assembler to input hull/armor with colors and they come out as grey, no paint is recovered in the process.

- Add recipes to Basic Factory to be able to add paint to armors.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Atheu

Gone but not forgotten
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would love this feature entirely, especially if a now ex member had used up materials to make 1 million orange advanced armor, which will probably never be used. or if someone derped and left a factory on producing pink hull (as an example)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I would use this all the time, to be honest. You could make factory chains with a micro assembler as an input and factories to paint the now stripped hull as toggle-able outputs. Much easier than the current system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Applying paint before the armor reaches it's final form always struck me as pretty silly and counter-intuitive. This would be a great help for players at all levels of development.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ThreadSnake

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Now then, first off I'd like to say I did do a search into the topic and found a few different suggestions from up to a few years ago. And while many people have suggested being able to have a paint gun or something to recolor hulls, that would most likely require new code, meanwhile my idea is a quick and simple way to do this and can also act as a half way step.

First off we have the Micro Assembler ... now let's be honest, how many of you actually use one constantly? And I mean really use it? Most of the people I know just have one on the off chance they accidentally get some scraps and that’s it. So why don't we give that block some purpose that would guarantee a lot more use?

Basically, have the MA also work as a paint stripper. Just input the hull/armor into the MA and out comes a grey hull/armor, the paint is just destroyed in the process (getting paint is extremely easy anyway, and we could really use a way to burn the excess amount of capsuled minerals we eventually end up having). After that you could just paint said hull already in the basic factory, we could also have recipes added to also paint the standard and advanced armors, probably in the basic factory as well, since it's just you know, painting.

To summarize for lazy people:

- Add recipes to Micro Assembler to input hull/armor with colors and they come out as grey, no paint is recovered in the process.

- Add recipes to Basic Factory to be able to add paint to armors.
    TL;DR? +1. Schine, please impelment this, this would make building aesthetically pleasing anything so much easier.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What about a new factory block that is just a dedicated painter? Consumes any type of hull or armor and paint, spits out painted hull or armor, and can strip paint too. Call it an Electroplater or something.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What about a new factory block that is just a dedicated painter? Consumes any type of hull or armor and paint, spits out painted hull or armor, and can strip paint too. Call it an Electroplater or something.
    Personally, I think we have too many kinds of factory blocks right now, so I'd prefer using an existing one for painting as described in the OP.

Another block would be something to suggest if the OP suggestion was implemented, and we saw lots of complaints about players still not being able to paint their blocks. (An obvious sign that it's too obscure a function for players to notice on a block that does something else as its primary function; any block that gets the "factory painting" option should have its description updated to indicate that it can, indeed, combine paint with a block to paint it.)

Reaction score
    The purpose of this suggestion is to not add anything new, and just use what we already have. I do think it is better to just add crafting recipes to already existing factories than to add a new one which will have to be coded in and have textures made for it. Also adding a new block for painting would mean the Micro Assembler would continue to be used as a "once in a blue moon", if you ever come across scrap in your inventory by accident.

Reaction score
    As my grandmother says on Facebook without hitting the like button, "I like". This makes more sense than the current system while making improved use of what's already there.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I actually did this with the custom recipe system a while back. It was really easy to set up. This would be such a great quality of life improvement to the game that wouldn't take more than an hour or two.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    even better would be the ability to change colors of blocks inputted to the micro assembler,because as stated in op it does need a better use.