A Radicaly New Approach for Viable Planets:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Forward
    This post will make a number of assumptions and suggest some pretty outlandish things. And that's ok.
    Even if there is a 0.1% chance of something in this post helping to improve planets then it's more than worth it. Parts of it simply may not be possible in Starmade, so please do share if that is the case.
    This is not intended to be a finalised implentation or idea, if it's complete shit please do say so!
    Thank you for your time.

Side note:
    Hopefully they can see that this idea has no more of a transition than activating your warp drive. Your ship doesn't actually travel the distance when jumping, it teleports and the jump animation is the trick they use to hide this. I don't se how the op would be any different.

Basis of this idea/concept

This concept will use the base of how wormholes entities and sectors currently work in-game to try and produce viable large planets that are more than rocks to be strip minned.
    Current planets are limited in scope, performance and use.
    Heavy inspiration will be taken from other threads and build off some of the amazing work they have done.
    In particular I would like to thank Crimson-Artist for his amazing work and visuals in this thread which have helped inspire me.
    Gas Giant Concept-With pictures

Crimson-Artist's gas giant concept art.
    If it is ok with the creator, I would love to beable to reference some of your work here as inspiration and to share it with other players.

Pic: Replace a Wormhole Texture Volia!

Unless drastic changes are found, I do not see how large planets could be acheived in their current state.
    Thus this concept will involve taking a different approach (with limitations) to improve it. While no one likes limitations, they are still needed to make the game playable. If any of them can be lifted, by all means would I support it. I do not see how large scale voxel planets can be implimented without destroying game performance via current designs (Plate, Dodecahedron). Seperating both the visual and playable aspects of planets is however a contriversial topic.

Suggested Implementation:
    I have run with the concept of using wormholes as they are both large entities in the Starmade Universe, Have their own "Gravity" and essientialy force a "Warp" when the player gets too close.
    Their visuals (if tonned down a bit) are strikingly similar to atmospheric couds/gases.
    With a bit of editting you can sorta see how they tonned down version of wormholes could be used as the base of large planets. (Additional point, maybe docahedrons could be kept in-game as planetoids?)

Step 1: The Outer Visuals
    -Copy-paste wormholes :P
    -Reduce Gravity pull.
    -Re-do visual to resembal a planet such as above.
    If the SM team is lacking in artists, using programs such as Imphenzia - Space Fabricator could help a ton to produce planets looking like this with relativly little effort. I have used this program and others to great effect on other development projects. The quality and resolution is also phenominal (8000x8000 + if you desire). (Just as a starting point, I don't see this being a challenge for the dev team)

On a side note, this could also be used to create other visual assests (maybe given a function in future updates?) such as Gas giants and moons.

Step 2: Space to Ground Transition
    While contraversial, I would suggest the "Planet" (Leave in the current ones as planetoids for those who want them?) you encouter when flying your spaceship around is just that, like a wormhole just a visual asset. Trying to make giant voxel planets float about and get collided with ships in space just doesn't seem to be a viable possability at this point.

The "Ground" would be in a seperate, customised sector detached from normal space.
    To enter, an entity would have to get within (x) distance from the planet (like with wormholes), and if it meets the conditions will intiate a unique "Jump" animation (Think flying down through an atmosphere).
    This does not involves loading screens, and thus the universe is still "seemless"

E.g Entering a heavy atmosphere of a gaseous planet.
    (E.g a unique "warp" effect lasting (x) seconds to smooth over the transition)
    This was made from the "inside a star" effect.

Step 3: Touchdown!
    A visual guide to what my brain imagined:

-Entery and exit points related.

How could the sector work:?
    How I imagined it:
    -Detatched from the regular universe just like test sectors.
    -Hitting the boundry on one edge would take you to the opposite side.
    -Some sort of "magma"/bedrock like the current planets have to seal off the base.
    -Entity is treated like a station, various hexagon "biomes" can spawn on it, creating a "hex map"

-Biomes could essientialy be the planet plates that are already used atm.
    -No collision physics calculated, entities that collide could just be repulsed.
    -"Fog" generated (x) distance from player, only nearby plates are loaded to reduce load. Changeable in config.
    -Leaving the planet is the opposite, get high enough in the atmosphere, experiance the visual animation, arrive in orbit of the planet in the relevant section.
    -Think of it sort of like a sealed off box from the rest of the universe.
    -Speed could be reduced.
    -Entities beyound (x) mass or (xyz) dimensions could be prohibited from being constructed or flown on the surface for performance reasons (could change in config).

A completly Un-realistic add-on:
    Just an alternate idea for planet visuals: (Would probably destroy the entire server XD)
    Each Hexagon could be linked to a spherical "mesh", where a rendered image of the biome could be displayed. Have enough biomes and they could display the planets surface in space without loading the blocks. These images could only update every (x) when a player is nearby the plate for example.

Side note: Orbital Bombardment

I have no idea how bombardment could work, at least how I imagined it would be the larger ships could blockade around the planet to prevent anything from leaving (No Warp Jump when near a planet due to gravatational interferance maybe?), while the atmospheric capable craft desended to fight it out above the planets surface.
    _______________________________________________________________________________

I probably spent faaar too long on this and it's unlikely to ammount to anything. But at least I can say I tried XD There are probably hundreds of problems with this :/
    Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So TLDR larger instanced planets?
    I'm a bit drunk atm, but I think I ment that each induvidal world would be the same for everyone, not different for each player.
    (If thats what instanced means:?)

With different planets being spawned, generating different bioms depending on their type or something. Idk

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    It's the planet tech this game needs.

It's also eerily similar to an old topic (and probably several others) that came to life and burned to ashes ages ago, when it became apparent that flat planets suck just a little bit too much to leave in the game;
    Hypothetical discussion about a planet idea, can you find an issue ?

The ideas were golden, but the behaviour of all the pro-Schine yes men quickly turned it into a cesspit, with counter-arguments such as "they're not doing this" or "the game must be COMPLETELY seamless!" - Somehow reasoning that it's normal and desired for a person on the planet's surface and a person in high orbit to see and interact with each other...
    They went as far as proclaiming double-sided flat planets superior to spherical ones.

Eventually today's dodecahedron planets were born out of that mess, so this battle is clearly far from over. I pledge my support to the cause.

The hard truth is, there is no PC in this world that could handle decent sized planets with the current method. Seamlessness is all good, but video games sometimes need to settle for an ILLUSION OF SEAMLESSNESS for practicality's sake.

Last edited:
    Reactions: alij331
    G

GDPR 302420

I'm a bit drunk atm, but I think I ment that each induvidal world would be the same for everyone, not different for each player.
    (If thats what instanced means:?)
    Instanced planets means the planet is separated from the rest of the world.

Similar to how floor 1 and floor 2 in a dungeon crawler are not all loaded at once and you only load the floor (the instance) when you are there.

Imo as much as the Devsquad hates it, StarMade needs instanced planets, current planets are too small to be useful and to laggy to do anything on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah, good point :/
    Reading the thread, even back then they seemed stuck in the same stubbon mindset that has got us in this Power 2.0 mess.
    Apparently an "Atmospheric Entery Effect" would completly ruin the game and is far worse than the laggy mess we have now -_-
    I mean they DO look nice atm, but they will fry your computer given half a chance and serve no purpose beyound that.

Even if this idea is completly borked, I would love to hear what plans the devs have, and why.
    4 Years on from the thread mentioned and planets have lost more and more utility and performance :(

G

GDPR 302420

I mean they DO look nice atm, but they will fry your computer given half a chance and serve no purpose beyound that.
    Exactly!

I mean what the fuck is the point of having hover engines for ground vehicles when planets are too small for them to be useful and planets can do anything a less laggy station can.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Exactly!

I mean what the fuck is the point of having hover engines for ground vehicles when planets are too small for them to be useful and planets can do anything a less laggy station can.
    The Point^^
    I cannot agree enough!
    Diversionary tactics :? Too scared to front up to not knowing what to do, they throw a dress and makeup on a monkey and tell you to take it to prom night -_-

(I mean I love these devs, but good, honest communication makes a world of difference. The most succesful developers I've been involved with:
    -Communicated honestly and openly
    -Explained their decessions and listened to feedback
    -Involved their supporters.
    )
    With that, they were able to acheive far more than they would have been able too otherwise.
    Development time was not wasted.
    Large projects were tackled in bits.
    Regualar updates and communication kept the two groups in harmony every step of the way.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Instanced planets means the planet is separated from the rest of the world.

Similar to how floor 1 and floor 2 in a dungeon crawler are not all loaded at once and you only load the floor (the instance) when you are there.

Imo as much as the Devsquad hates it, StarMade needs instanced planets, current planets are too small to be useful and to laggy to do anything on.
    IIrc Schema doesnt want instances. The only load screen should be the first one when you launch the game and join a universe.

G

GDPR 302420

IIrc Schema doesnt want instances. The only load screen should be the first one when you launch the game and join a universe.
    He may not want it, but like it or not with the state of optimisation for this game, he needs it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So Jump animiations is a load screen:?
    What is suggested is simply just a Jump from one sector to another. Nothing new, just different visuals.
    Even if this idea is complete trash, something needs to change to make planets a viable, and a useable part of the SM universe imo.
    There has been no communication from the devs on this, and it looks like they're content to just leave them alone for another 4 or 5 years :,(

Reaction score
    :D I'm starting to have the most awful déja'vu feeling here.

The only load screen should be the first one when you launch the game and join a universe.
    Look, in the meantime Space Engineers figured out how to do colossal planets (though little else beyond that). You don't see loading screens there either, but rest assured the voxels on Mars are not loaded when you're on Earth.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    :D I'm starting to have the most awful déja'vu feeling here.

Look, in the meantime Space Engineers figured out how to do colossal planets (though little else beyond that). You don't see loading screens there either, but rest assured the voxels on mars are not loaded when you're on earth.
    True, they do require a heffty rig at times though :P But at least they've got them working.
    Empyrion GS also offers very well optimizedprocedual planets as well, without any loading screens as well or performance issues.

Reaction score
    Aye. But when some people hear loading, they think about the progress bar and the hourglass.
    Even Starmade in it's current state is loading and unloading stuff continuously, so it should be nothing new.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    if we're reimagining things why settle down on a sucky 'loading' planetary transition?

this isn't even new tech, has been around 3 years now
    Answer:
    Starmade is far older and is hampered by irrational developer decessions and design.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Aye. But when some people hear loading, they think about the progress bar and the hourglass.
    Even Starmade in it's current state is loading and unloading stuff continuously, so it should be nothing new.
    This is what contradicts every discussion about the notion of keeping the universe - lol - "seamless." Facts.

SM universe is full of goddamn seams! Every few seconds a sector transition jerks past. I think we have all tried dog-fighting across small sectors... it is not remotely "seamless." It's a patchwork quilt of sectors already.

But even if we were to ignore this blatant contradiction - which we should not do, and neither should Schine - avoiding a transition for planets does not even make them seamless within their own sector... there actually already IS a loading screen for planets. It's just whatever view you have when the game starts to lock up and choke on that avalanche of chunks it just encountered.

So instead of a well-designed, well-presented load screen, we just patiently wait as the game freezes up horribly for a bit and the planet's core is slowly occluded by chunks - literally the exact thing loading screens were invented to prevent.

That is not some kind of "innovation," it's delusion. There IS a transition period, there IS loading time, and there ARE seams betwee every sector. A+ for effort & vision, really really, but also F for failure to accept real limitations once encountered, and adapt gracefully to those.

Planets that every player avoids like the plague 90% of the time because getting near them is a hateful experience are not an achievement. They are not a feature. They are not seamless. They already have a loading screen.

OP is a pretty damn good solution. Probably they shouldn't rely on 3rd-party software for planet art, but who knows.

I am fairly certain the new planets they are polishing up for us will perform much better than the current ones, but I am equally sure that based purely on size they will also still have a chunk-loading period that would be better encountered as some kind of transitional effect than as frozen controls, jerky framerates, and a vista composed entirely of half-loaded entities.

Edit: Apologies for harsh tone. It is early morning and I am very grouchy right now.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keptick and alij331
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    problem is that the lag from big planets is probably even more immersion breaking than any kind of "loading screen"