A New Way to Start

Reaction score
    Hello.

Been playing this game a lot over the last several months (mostly Singleplayer) and love it. However, I had a thought...

I know the game is still very early, but, creating a new universe and always starting in the middle of space with a few basic pieces, small amount of credits, and a shop kinda gets a little boring and, at least to me (who enjoys pretending I'm a space explorer/pirate hunter/privateer), unimaginative. What would be awesome is if there were a couple of random ways the game starts for single player (or hell, even multiplayer maybe).

For instance...

• "Adventurer Starts His/Her Journey!" - Start in space with a fully assembled ship made from the same starting parts the player is given anyway, but not neccessarily right next to a space station (randomly placed within a star system). Maybe the ship can be random in that you may start in a fighter ship (with small weapons and shields), or a scavenger ship (with scavenging beam).
    • "The Survivor" - Start on a planet with the "remains" of a crashed ship nearby (equal to the starting equipment).
    • "The Fortune Seeking Merchant" - Much like it already starts. Player on a station with equipment for a ship nearby (but perhaps an actual station... not just the "shops" currently in game).
    • "Escape!" - Player starts in a large(ish) ship interior. The ship is already under attack by pirates and the core is about to overload (so that the player can't actually take the big ship from the start). Player can either attempt to grab some spare parts in storage before abandoning ship, or find and steal a shuttle... maybe both.

In all cases, the player would have a respawn location set to the closest deathinator to their initial spawn position... incase the player doesnt survive the first few moments (like...they don't "Escape!").

I grant that it would be tough "balancing" each start to be roughly equal in starting resources... but even if they weren't, the player can still start in a new universe with a story to work with.

Just my thoughts... and forgive me if something similar was already suggested.

Reaction score
    Yes.
    Dear god yes.
    FOR THE LOVE OF SPACE YES!

The only thing I would change is if in the \"Escape\" scenario, the player is less than successful, the scenario automatically reverts to a \"Survivor\" scenario.

This would imply that even though the player died, the character didn\'t and merely crashed on some random planet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    +1

Really do like the idea of starting off planet-side. Regardless of players spawning on planets, I think everyone would love to see random structures and ship wrecks sprinkled on or somewhere inside planets. Then I think there would be a lot more of a sense of exploration when you land to start salvage operations on a planet, to find ship components and pieces of hull here and there, instead of mostly \"oh hey, there\'s more rock down there!\" alongside the lava or ice crystals that most people go digging for.

Reaction score
    Awesome idea, I agree with Greenfire on the revert, from personal experience the first bit of a pirate attack is fun, but not so much when they continue to spawnkill. Perhaps the Pirates at this point would have a different AI structure, make them focus on the ship instead of the player, once player leaves region they despawn.

The one problem with it being a ship is that the player could just assume control anyway, since when you sit in the core, it will solve overheating. An easy solution for this is to make it a station, but have it look like a ship. In this case, the pirates could keep attacking it until every block is gone, at which point they\'d target the player/fly away (the player shouldn\'t be here at this point, so if they get attacked it\'s their own dang fault).

Those are my two cents, really hope something like this comes about.

Reaction score
    We\'ve discussed many possible starter options, it would be great to have these suggestions and others, it will add great variety to the games early stages. We are waiting until more of the core gameplay features are in place before getting to deep into setting these up as the upcoming content would essentially force us to redo these scenarios after the updates anyways.