A manifesto on the relationship between ships and stations

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    There is a huge balancing issue between ships and stations. The station has to be prepared to all imaginable attacks and is therefore forced to use Missile-Beam turrets with 100% slave, to at least be able to fire back, if an artilleryship attacks.
    If the ship is jammed, the station has no chance to hit the attacking ship. The stations has no option to use scanners to counter this.

Also a station is not able to use any defensive effect like Ion-effect. This means, that a station needs double shields and shield recharge to be on the same level with ships.
    A station has no possibility to hide, it is always at the same place and shows up in the map.
    The station is not able to move so it cant doge any incoming fire.
    If a ship jumps in, shoots missiles and jumps out, there is nothing the station can do.

Stations don't need thruster, jump-modules or main weaponry, and because manoeuvrability is not a thing, we can simple build stations bigger.
    But a 100k mass ship could always destroy a 200k mass station without much problems.

We need something to make stations stronger, more durable and give them countermeasures against ships.

I would suggest:
    *slightly increased weapon range for turrets on stations. (About 5 to 10%)
    - otherwise you have to set up the turrets as far out on the station as you can.
    *if a scanner is installed on stations, it gets auto activated as soon as it is charged. -the ration modules/mass is reduced on stations
    *shield-capacity bonus somewhere between 100% to 400%
    *make defensive effects usable by stations
    *make stations jamable

A fight against a station should be something epic, a ship with similar size to the station should not be able to burst it down. (If both are built properly)
    Also the weakness of stations prevents factions to set up multiple stations.

Setting up guard ships near the station also doesn't make much sense and they are also forced to have missile-beam installed, because otherwise the detection range is to short. And then there is still friendly fire :(

My stations have no problem with fighting AI ships, but player controlled ships are every station builders nightmare.

Neither the Rail-update nor the HP-update made anything better. (HP made it even worse)

So feel free to discuss and share your experiences. If anyone has tips in terms of station defence, I'm listening.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435662544,1435661445][/DOUBLEPOST]Something that could work would be a similar thing as the pirate- and trading stations have. If a station is under attack it calls reinforcements that spawn near the attacker.
    As station-owner you would have to define the waves and the conditions when which waves spawns and deposit the needed filled blueprints or resources.
    When the attacker leaves the sector or dies, the ships would despawn and the remaining resources would be given back to the system.

Reactions: Shadar and Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This would be interesting. Maybe the reinforcments being called in require a shipyard on the station? That way, their is another way to defend your shipyard

Reaction score
    Totally agree with this. Stations should have a massive shield and armour boost to offset not being able to move. It makes sense really as the power that would be used for engines could be used for the shields. It would also make non homebase stations far more viable and encourage people to expand.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hopefully in a future update, when one of your faction's stations is attacked, reinforcements jump in (AI Fleets) that cost faction points(It doesn't have to be faction points). Of course you can select what ships you want the reinforcements to have. I think that would balance stations and ships along with your suggestion.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed, but I think that another thing that would benefit stations greatly is the lack of shield recharge penalty when under fire.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Agreed, but I think that another thing that would benefit stations greatly is the lack of shield recharge penalty when under fire.
    That would be overpowered I think.
    I haven't mentioned the shield recharge because I'm not sure how much an adjustment would affect the balance. It is limited by the energy recharge and cap, but I think without the "in fight"-penalty a station could get to fast almost invulnerable.

Reaction score
    I can get behind making stations tougher, but I think what we need is better AI for stationing ships to defend them. It's much harder to attack a big pile of shields when you're being pelted by 20+ ships.

Reaction score
    Ok, you seem to be out of play from starmade so heres what you do:
    Homebase the damned station, there, invincable. You win, horrah!
    Wait for the improved ai system and then create traps against attackers.

Or just build larger turrets? Its not like the factory will have an infinite factory running and therefore be costing a lot of power.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok, you seem to be out of play from starmade so heres what you do:
    Homebase the damned station, there, invincable. You win, horrah!
    Wait for the improved ai system and then create traps against attackers.

Or just build larger turrets? Its not like the factory will have an infinite factory running and therefore be costing a lot of power.
    I'm not talking about homebases, and trust me, my turrets are huge, self supplying badass motherf***rs.
    But what use have big turrets when they aren't hitting the target, because it's jammed ?

If the only solution is to hide in homebases, starmade's galaxies will stay empty boring places.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good points, and I agree. Still, there are countermeasures that can be deployed for your station.

* Place weapon platforms around your stations, armed with turrets. Granted you'll still have the AI issue, but your fire power has been increased, as has your range.

* Add drone racks to your station. Added fire power for you, plus a distraction for you attacker as they're swarmed by scores of your drones.

* make some suicide drones with warheads attached.

* how about a mine field? True I can be a danger to your ships too, but it can be a surprise to would be attackers.

Anyway, just a few suggestions.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    * Place weapon platforms around your stations, armed with turrets. Granted you'll still have the AI issue, but your fire power has been increased, as has your range.
    Tried that, and still doing it. It's the best to suprise the attacker but once he got it, he would be able to jump in one sector farer away and take down the platforms first., still a good option.
    The only real problem is friendly fire if the platform is behind the station and tries to shoot the enemy but hits the station.
    * Add drone racks to your station. Added fire power for you, plus a distraction for you attacker as they're swarmed by scores of your drones.
    Also tried that, only with small drone, slowed down the AI, against players they would have to be big drones.

Mine fields are only toys in my eyes.
    An AI update that gave us patrols would be nice.

So up to now I would say the only realy needed improvment, in the first place, would be the ability to use scanners for stations.
    Scanners, some drones and some weapon platforms would work pretty well against one player, at least as long as he isn't realy pissed up and wants to destroy your station at all costs.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I strongly agree that stations should get an inherent bonus, such as 2x or even 4x shields, due to all their major disadvantages. In literally every game and sci-fi stations are generally monsters that aren't approached lightly, it'd be nice to see the same in SM. It'd make outposts and nice warp gates viable.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just found another problem with stations.
    All I know we don't get an alert when a station is under siege.

The last times I only saw that the station was attacked because of the kill messages from the turrets.

So an alert "Station [name] [x,y,z] is under attack!" would also help a little.
    Maybe also a warning if the station spotted an enemy in range. (Not every stations is in claimed territory)

So if there isn't any more to say, I will post the resulting suggestion soon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Heck, stations could use a whole series of config buffs.
    Higher power bonus caps, higher energy storage, higher shield capacity, possibly even increased weapon DPS. It's possible to put weapons on a station, even though they can't be aimed. That's something that should change.