3.49 dimensional space-time (no neg-sign, no zero) for black-hole-sectors

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    BTW: Tags need to be lowercase, alnum and no white-space before comparison / tag-suggestions.​

Black Hole sectors should have less time-flow.
    And the faster you are, the slower time should flow (time-dilation), max time-slow=50%?​

Factories/Logic,etc could produce at Delta-T per entity and a trigger-list sorted by time.
    This would solve any code-issues with factories producing at unconventional rates.​

Gravity:
    • Maybe gravity is generated by electrons which create a conversion of time into space.
    • Or maybe electrons create a flow-vortex in space or the interstellar-"sea/water" which creates under-pressure similar to the top of a plane's wing.
      • Then atoms would just try to equalize the lack of space-energy in that volume (attraction).

I've once heard:
    "It is better to have an explanation that we know to be false than to have none."

Perhaps because if you have no explanation at all, you can't imagine the complexity of question.
    If you then find another false answer which you do NOT know to be false, you have nothing to compare.
    So even if we don't know if what I said above about [Gravity] is true or false, SM should provide an implementation of it or alike. Or add least add some lore.

If sectors experience time-slow, there could later be an opposite additional time-flow to again even it out with other sectors.

I'd also like to see time-slow or time-flow buffs to stick to ships, gradually diminishing as the ship gets "into phase" with the rest of the universe.​

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    BTW: Tags need to be lowercase, alnum and no white-space before comparison / tag-suggestions.​

Black Hole sectors should have less time-flow
    Wouldn't work in multiplayer. Unless you just mean reduced fire rates and other time dependent things? But a person being sucked into a black hole wouldn't (and shouldn't) be aware of the time flow difference, so that wouldn't work either.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wouldn't work in multiplayer. Unless you just mean reduced fire rates and other time dependent things? But a person being sucked into a black hole wouldn't (and shouldn't) be aware of the time flow difference, so that wouldn't work either.
    You can stick a time-flow (the inverse) buff to the ship/sector.

Then you are out-of-phase (lowers interaction, like a parallel universe) with either the sector or the other players.
    You become "transparent".

Through waiting or adding time-flow, you can get into phase again.
    ((joking : White holes could produce time-flow XD, or some device ))
    It evens out by adding/lowering time-flow by a small 10%.
    But if you experience vt=0.05=limit, you probably already got sucked into the event horizon anyway (and die).
    Imagine you are at (rt+0) and if you go into a Black-Hole you gradually become (rt-dt), but that effect can diminish close to (rt-MAX_DT), which limits waiting time.

Alternatively, this could just be used to affect ship battles and let you go a bit forward and "cause near-stuck" in time (3 seconds), which creates smooth-LAG for just-one player or the sector.
    It evens out by adding/lowering time-flow by a small 10%.​

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    With the current state of the game this would not be possible. It would mean that not only would the server have to store the position of all entities on the server, it would have to store all their movements for the past MAX_DT seconds. This would be disastrous for the size of the database, worst case (arbitrarily for a 60s MAX_DT, with a 0.1s accuracy to positions) by 600x. It is not currently unusual for a server to have over 2GB worth of files in the database, and I doubt anyone would want to have a 1,200GB database to index and access. Best case, at a guess maybe it would inflate the database by up to 20x

And before the argument of "why not just store the positions rather than the entire entity" crops up, you still have to consider how to then store entities that are being built or damaged. Every single shot or block change will result in a new copy of the entity having to be created. Positions alone would not be enough.

Not to put a dampener on the idea, if it could be implemented it would be a really cool thing to have. Technical limitations mean that it is currently infeasable

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And before the argument of "why not just store the positions rather than the entire entity" crops up, you still have to consider how to then store entities that are being built or damaged. Every single shot or block change will result in a new copy of the entity having to be created. Positions alone would not be enough.
    Only one past, present and future exists.

Because time travel shouldn't exist. And the possibility of "if you are damaging the past, the other player would have reacted different" shouldn't arise. (If you are curious, "Aanchron" has that an RTS game).

If two players are far away from each other in the T-axis, they would just not see each other, as if they are evading each other on X, Y or Z.

If they are closing up to each other, your ship can fade transparent-to-opaque or grow-out-from-nowhere or something like that.

If you are damaging NPC, for the other player it would look like the NPC is between you and him on the X,Y,Z axis –the NPC in vision range, you not– with the difference that the damage appears at your side.​

It would be more like: http://fourthdimensiongame.com/
    A 4th dimension of space, but you can neither stop nor invert your direction. You are always falling into the future (+t). That is why I called it "3.49", almost 3 +1/2.

You can only travel faster or slower along +T. As if you were on a time-wave with global time being the tip of a sine-wave.
    A tangent on a sine-wave can never see another point on the same wave-part, only after going through Y=0.​

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Only one past, present and future exists.

Because time travel shouldn't exist. And the possibility of "if you are damaging the past, the other player would have reacted different" shouldn't arise. (If you are curious, "Aanchron" has that an RTS game).​
    I wasnt talking about you damaging people, changing the "past", I was referring to people who are not time shifted attacking people who arent time shifted. If you are time shifted, you will be able to watch them fight eachother after they have fought, during which time the server will have to save the state of all involved entities at every single point in time in order to accurately show what happened. In an infinite world such as starmade, the data storage limitations mean this just isnt possible. It would be akin to running 600 servers at once on one machine.

Either starmade has to become several orders of magnitude faster and space efficient or servers will have to become several orders of magnitude more powerful.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you are time shifted, you will be able to watch them fight eachother after they have fought, during which time the server will have to save the state of all involved entities at every single point in time
    The second segment below 0 is all you can ever be in.
    You slowly fall back to the lowest point (the global time).
    Time=X
    Segment=Phase"​
    I confess, I confused it a bit too. "Future and Past" are used by me both for "real-time" and "phase-shift up+down".
    Should I try to correct and endanger the meaning of above posts?
    (making the posts easier to understand, but take away the continuum. But right now I have no time anyway, need to come back later)

Code-wise:
    You (the future) and The Opponents (past warriors) are in the "same time-wave", neither the past or future, just the present.
    All you do affects all instantly. All the others do affects all instantly.
    You can damage the past from the future and they can damage the future from the past = all is present.​

Perspective:
    If you are in a future phase, you can see the past but not influence it.
    If you are in a past phase, you cannot see/target the future, but influence it. But you don't influence it, you already have influenced it.
    This results in neither being able to interact with the other willingly