2x armor rating in same space no cheat

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was looking at Olxinos post [Proof of Concept]Anti missile plate

I figured there was something more that could be done.
    Here is what I came up with.
    I used different colors so it would be visible what had been done.

I just got done firing a 750K damage missile at it. All it did was lower the shields a bit.
    Even with 1/16 the current shields on it damage was far less than normal.

The one big mistake I made on this is I didn't dock the module cores facing the same direction the primary ship does. I didn't realize it would make a difference maneuvering but it sure does. They are facing backwards and it nearly doesn't want to go forward. It maybe a bug of some kind.

Shows amount of shields power of docked module.

Shows main ship shield level

How they are docked

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah if you just want armor rating, clip blast doors. Multiple wedges in the same space is for missiles because it'll actually hit different pieces.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yeah if you just want armor rating, clip blast doors. Multiple wedges in the same space is for missiles because it'll actually hit different pieces.
    Doesn't hurt either that damage is also divided among multiple shield banks.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I like this idea, no reliance on clipping (which to be fair when building docked door based armor as you do, you're lucky not to have clipping somewhere to clean up).
    There is the whole many more entities thing but ehh, it won't look as bad the next time somebody starts up a confessions thread.

Reactions: GRHayes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Apart from the added protection. This opens up whole new ways of adding color and patterns to ships.

But all the extra entity needed is a bit of a let down. Things get crowded really fast this way. Still this is some very clever out of the box thinking.

Modular ships are getting more and more the norm. Ships where every part is separate and then combined to create one ship. This is also where optimization of StarMade needs some work. As entity pressure effects a lot of things. Like lots of missiles beeing entity to can bring a server to it's knees.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It shouldn't make a difference.
    It's better if there is a standard block type to get this kind of effect or if it doesn't work at all.

It's really hard to create more complicated shapes with this which hurts nice ship designs over min-maxed boxes … doom-cubes again?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    make sure you set your rail speed to zero if you do this on anything larger than a fighter. You can also use corner blocks in a standard rotation pattern to up the AV in one space even further

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Apart from the added protection. This opens up whole new ways of adding color and patterns to ships.

But all the extra entity needed is a bit of a let down. Things get crowded really fast this way. Still this is some very clever out of the box thinking.

Modular ships are getting more and more the norm. Ships where every part is separate and then combined to create one ship. This is also where optimization of StarMade needs some work. As entity pressure effects a lot of things. Like lots of missiles beeing entity to can bring a server to it's knees.
    Technically you could leave shields and power and so on off. You would still get shielding from the primary ship. However, adding your own shielding to each breaks up the shield load of damage.

Right now I am building a ship that is built in multiple parts. hull plates have their own power source so do wings. That means weapons systems and such on their can be powered through those systems. With this you can make use of the added power to still power more weapons or it could also provide over power back to the primary ship.

It shouldn't make a difference.
    It's better if there is a standard block type to get this kind of effect or if it doesn't work at all.

It's really hard to create more complicated shapes with this which hurts nice ship designs over min-maxed boxes … doom-cubes again?
    Actually it makes sense as to why it makes a difference. However, if they had reduced the cost of making partial blocks and reduced their armor value to be proportional to the block size then it wouldn't make a difference to armor value.

It still would make a difference to shields though regardless any change to armor level. Shield distribution is simple math and it is taking advantage of the way they handle the explosive effect on surface.

You can make many more shapes and patterns with this than just with standard armor. You can also use the partial wedges to make armor with this.
    In truth you only need one additional surface ship to make extremely complex patterns and shapes. You could have your standard hull and do half and make a docked hull and add the color in on it.

I'd like to see someone create one layer flat armor that allows them to incorporate such designs in it without using a docked craft. This just uses one docked craft to create all this. The H and Ls can easily be done with just one armor. However, notice the E, O and Symbol you can't do that with just one armor level normally.

[doublepost=1471046762,1471046639][/doublepost]
    make sure you set your rail speed to zero if you do this on anything larger than a fighter. You can also use corner blocks in a standard rotation pattern to up the AV in one space even further
    Using corner blocks you could legit quadruple armor per block space without any cheating.
    That was supposed to be a secret Shhh. Hehe.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Quadruple armor density 4 times the armor rating without cheating.
    Since the cat is out of the bag here is how.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I would have thought x8 would be possible with tetras *scratches head*
    But I just stared out the window all day in maths so... I could almost see this stopping cannons for a pico-second longer than adv armor spam (or missiles, like, forever)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually it makes sense as to why it makes a difference. However, if they had reduced the cost of making partial blocks and reduced their armor value to be proportional to the block size then it wouldn't make a difference to armor value.
    I have nothing against adding graphical detail (but then hp of 2 wedges should be equal to the hp of one block).

But I do have something against adding more armour per space (because ships with this are 20% smaller in 3D and harder to hit).
    (80%^3 = 41% volume, not 25% because other systems take volume too - weapons power and thrust) Or they have armor of a 25%^3 bigger ship.

It also makes it easier to cover critical parts such as a computer, because the area of each protection layer is smaller. Which may lead to hidden computers which are not put into the bridge or core room anymore.

It's counter-productive for ship interior designs!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have nothing against adding graphical detail (but then hp of 2 wedges should be equal to the hp of one block).

But I do have something against adding more armour per space (because ships with this are 20% smaller in 3D and harder to hit).
    (80%^3 = 41% volume, not 25% because other systems take volume too - weapons power and thrust) Or they have armor of a 25%^3 bigger ship.

It also makes it easier to cover critical parts such as a computer, because the area of each protection layer is smaller. Which may lead to hidden computers which are not put into the bridge or core room anymore.

It's counter-productive for ship interior designs!
    Actually Cubed squared rule. consider a 10x10x10 cube. It has 520 blocks for the outer skin. Double that. Put 2 blocks together yet you don't need two walls between them. so minus 200 it takes 36 blocks to go around the narrow direction. 10+10+8+8. 200/36=5.555
    That means internally 8x8x8x2 + 8x8x5 + the 1040 surface.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually Cubed squared rule. consider a 10x10x10 cube. It has 520 blocks for the outer skin. Double that. Put 2 blocks together yet you don't need two walls between them. so minus 200 it takes 36 blocks to go around the narrow direction. 10+10+8+8. 200/36=5.555
    That means internally 8x8x8x2 + 8x8x5 + the 1040 surface.
    I thought cubes are volumetric? X+Y+Depth if you hit armour from the outside.
    I don't know what you want to say, so I put some math below (maybe it helps you understand my point)

Imagine you can put 4 layers armour into 1. For a doom-cube, each "side" is a pyramid from the core to the surface.
    A set of 9x9 + 11x11 + 13x13 + 15x15 becomes just 9x9 + 9x9 + 9x9 + 9x9.
    81+121+169+225=596 and 81*4=324.
    You safe about 1/2 blocks and have a cube with <2/3 side length.

(9/15)^3 = 9^3 / 15^3 = 729/3375= 21.6% Volume.
    If this ~1/5 is just armour, not power/weapons/thrusters the whole ship has the armour of 5 other ships (But also the weight, so it might need more thrusters and more power for these).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I thought cubes are volumetric? X+Y+Depth if you hit armour from the outside.
    I don't know what you want to say, so I put some math below (maybe it helps you understand my point)

Imagine you can put 4 layers armour into 1. For a doom-cube, each "side" is a pyramid from the core to the surface.
    A set of 9x9 + 11x11 + 13x13 + 15x15 becomes just 9x9 + 9x9 + 9x9 + 9x9.
    81+121+169+225=596 and 81*4=324.
    You safe about 1/2 blocks and have a cube with <2/3 side length.

(9/15)^3 = 9^3 / 15^3 = 729/3375= 21.6% Volume.
    If this ~1/5 is just armour, not power/weapons/thrusters the whole ship has the armour of 5 other ships (But also the weight, so it might need more thrusters and more power for these).
    Yep, it effectively gives you as much armor as a much larger ship than the one you are in.
    just think what happens if you have 2 or more layers thick of this. 2 layers thick is about 8 times the amount of armor.
    Plus you get the mass.