Bug 1st Log in - Authorize/Denied broken links

Croquelune

An Imaginary Number's officer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hi I logged here to report a recurrent bug in game but by doing that I just noticed an other one concerning the site this time.

During my 1 st log in of all times, the site propose to me to Authorize or Deny something (something like "authorize Stardock.net to use your account blablabla"). This shit sounds pretty scary so I tried to learn more about that, so I clicked on the link "Read citizen info" but nothing happen. I try also the "StarMadeDock.net" and nothing also. The two links seems broken or obsolete.

As you see on screensavers below, when I browse the "Read citizen info" link a bubble appear :
    ==> translation missing: en.doorkeeper.scopes.read_citizen_info

When I browsed the other link ("StarMadeDock.net") absolutely nothing appear (no description bubble)

But both links are dead end.

Of course I always prefer to know what I'm I apply on so I clicked "Deny" and I was redirect on that screen without explanation :

I guessed i was force to apply this agreement blindly to authorize tierce entity to use my account (and I guess data) about "I don't know why and what for" in order to report bugs here. It's kind creepy and scary, specially for europeans peoples which are quite aware about data protection and don't like to sign in blindly everywhere on the network.

You should solve that quickly because for cautious people like me it was a 50/50 chance I didn't gone further in the process, I guess you lose some contributors cause of that.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    These forums and the registry are not parts of the same whole. The forums do use the credentials of the registry, but you need to tell the registry to allow the forums to access your credentials, it should be straightforward.
    Also, not everything that looks like a link is one. Clicking on a malformed or "dead" link will either cause an empty page or an error message to be displayed.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Clicking the green button would not be blindly agreeing to anything. That is our equivalent of those login with [social network] buttons, means that sites can use that as a login server and starmade players will only ever need to remember the registry passwords. All you would have been "blindly agreeing" too is logging in.

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Allright, thanks for the explanation. I'm not native english speaker so what is seems clear for you not necesseraly appear clear to me.

When you are register/log in to site A, usually you're not redirect to a site B to do it. It's quite weird but why not. From a neophyte like me nothing warned me about that redirection, in my point of view that was the same site so that why I was a bit confuse by that "apply/deny choice". By the way, it's a funny thing to have to register first and then have access to the rules/forum's contract.

Also, not everything that looks like a link is one. Clicking on a malformed or "dead" link will either cause an empty page or an error message to be displayed.
    Yeah I guess, but what's the point to make "StarMadeDock.net" and "Read citizen info" a looking-like-link if this 2 things don't have purpose to be linked to something ? It's just bring more confusion, because when I browse them they reacted like links (changing color when I browse them). So what the point of that ? Can't you just use bold or italic (or both) instead ? It will way clearlier than that.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    By the way, it's a funny thing to have to register first and then have access to the rules/forum's contract.
    Well, the ToS (Terms of Service) in here AFAIK only apply to your forum account[although they also contain the EULA of the game itself], and not the registry account, but don't blindly quote me on that.

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Ok, thanks for this precision.

But since our forum (site A) registrement necessarely pass by StarMadeRegistry site (site B), àmha it would be better for user, at least, to have more informations during this phase on site B before he finalise (or not) the manipulation.

Anyway, the colored pseudo-link still a clarity problem.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Anyway, the colored pseudo-link still a clarity problem.
    I completely ignored another scenario beforehand: That it indeed was a link, which led to a valid location. But the target location redirected back at the page beforehand, because the decision was not yet made and the user was still in the login process.

In any case, it definetly is confusing.

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Ok, so I wasn't crazy ; it was real link. :p

To be sure there are no misundertanding, we are still speaking together of the 2 red framed ones, right ?