The Starmade Skinning Tutorial

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Starmade Skinning Tutorial

Before You Begin:

- Make sure you have your favorite photo editing program installed. No favorite? Try Gimp, Paint.net, or Photoshop.

- Make sure your computer can run Starmade (even running terribly is ok, as long as you can look at your character in-game for previewing purposes).

- Make sure you have time and motivation. Nothing is worse than starting a skin, getting bored/tired of it and quitting after pouring in hours of hard work.

Step One: Gather Needed Resources

Find the Starmade folder on your computer and create a “Skins” folder (or use the client-skins folder if you prefer) then navigate to Starmade/Data/SkinningRescources. In the SkinningResources folder you will find playerhelm_shading.png, playerhelm_template.png, playertex_shading.png, and playertex_template.png. Copy and paste these into your new Skins folder.

Now you may be wondering what these pngs are? These are the templates that you will begin to build your skin with. Go ahead and take a look at the pngs (ignore the shading pngs for now) you will see that there are a whole lot of glowing boxes with labels on them. Each glowing box refers to a different part of the skin that you will see put together in-game like a paper die from Elementary School that you fold into the correct shape.
    Template Man.jpg
    Later we will take a closer look to see what each of the different parts of the template mean.

Now that you have the pngs, you can begin to collect other resources. Inside your Skins folder you will likely want to create a folder to put your brand new skin in, for this example I will be making a Rebel Pilot, so I will name the folder Rebel Pilot and copy the templates into there (all four of them). This is also the location you will be saving reference pictures into, so go ahead and fire up a google search for pictures of the character/person/whatever it is you want to skin and get some pics of the character’s front, back, side, face, and helmet (or just keep a bunch of google image tabs open :P) Save ‘em into your Skins folder and I would recommend that you make a References folder to stash them into. Resources.jpg
    Be sure to study your character so that you know how they look. I also recommend that you create a screenshot folder for storing screenshots later when in the testing phase.

*Pro Tip: If copying a character from somewhere find a Lego figure of the character you are reproducing for a simplistic model.

Step Two: Familiarize Yourself With Starmade Skinning

Open up playertex_template.png and playerhelm_template.png with your editing program. You will see that any bodyparts that need explaining are already labeled and marked where they bend (funky little lines mid arm and mid leg) and how they attach (please note that the symbols on the ends of the arms attach to the same symbols on the body).
    Symbols.jpg

Now pay attention to the brighter line around each box of a body part. That line is the very edge of the skin, so for example if I would like to give my Rebel Pilot a belt that goes all the way around his waist I would put it just above the legs, starting on the border line and going all the way across “body back”, “side”, “body front” and the other “side”, extending up a few pixels depending on the thickness of the belt.
    Belt.jpg

Outside of that border line is a darker coloured area that is two pixels wide. That is the “Bleed Zone”. AnnaShade017 explains it well like this “”Bleed" in this context refers to texture bleed. Texture bleed is due to mipmapping/MIP mapping (MIP maps are intended to increase rendering speed, and decrease aliasing artifacts).
    When you log into the game, the game compresses your skin, making it "bleed" and blur a bit in order to increase rendering speed, and so on. If you did not put a 1-2 pixel boarder of the desired color around the edges of your skin, you may find unwanted colors on the edges of your skin in game.

” – Credit to AnnaShade017

The final part of familiarization with the skinning procedure requires that you are able to load your skin into Starmade to see what it looks like (and where you made mistakes). To do this you must save your skin as four different pngs 1.Rebel Pilot, 2. Rebel Pilot EM, 3. Rebel Pilot Helm, 4. Rebel Pilot Helm EM. The first is your basic skin, and the third is the helmet but what are these EMs you ask?

Emissions
    “What does "emission" do? This lets you mark what part of your skin/helmet you want to glow or "emit light".
    Do I need to use emission files? Yes, because emission files make up two of the required files that combine to make your skin in StarMade.
    What if I don't want my skin/helm to glow at all? Then use a total, 100% black emission. This emission would still be the same size as your skin image/helm image, except, it will only be black.
    The emission files/images are usually all 100%black except for the areas you want to glow. 100% white for maximum glow/brightness, or shades of grey for lower brightness.Here is the emission for the default player skin (Dave)

In this example, 100% white was used in places where the skin glows in game, this should give you an idea of how bright the brightest is.”

– Credit to AnnaShade017 http://starmadedock.net/threads/havign-trouble-uploading-skins.1430/

So as a self-test to see if you understand how the template works draw some stuff on it (start using and understanding layers and how to use them now) and then save it as 1.Rebel Pilot, and then a copy of the Rebel Pilot template as an EM variant (2.Rebel Pilot EM) except use the paint bucket to make the top layer completely black. Repeat the same steps for the Helmet and Helmet EM.
    EM.jpg

Testing Phase

The Testing Phase is when you think that the skin is good enough to see if it looks right in-game, or you have lost your bearings and need to see what part of the skin goes where or need to see if you made a mistake and put something in the wrong place. In this phase you will save your skin (1.main, 2.main EM, 3. Helm, 4.Helm EM) and then load it into the game. When in game you will take screenshots (F6 for no GUI, F5 for with GUI) and then later move them into your screenshots folder (from the Starmade folder).
    The screen shots will help with referencing how your skin looks currently and seeing what changes need to be made so that you will not have to switch between StarMade and your photo editor so often.

“1. Click on the StarMade launcher, and then "Start Game", the Connection Setup launcher will appear.
    2. Find "Modding" on the menu bar on the top of the Connection Setup window, click that and a drop down menu will appear. Click "Create Custom Skin".
    3. A new window will pop up with four blanks for each of the four skin files. Browse your files and enter in the correct file for each blank space as labeled. Click "Ok" and now play the game as normal. The server (single/multiplayer) will apply your skin to your character as you enter the game.”

– Credit to AnnaShade017 http://starmadedock.net/threads/commander-shepard-broshep-v-2.26/

If you find the skin blurry when testing that is normal however you can make it clearer:

“Open your StarMade Launcher, click "Start Game" (Connection Setup window opens), Under "Settings" at the top click "Show Advanced Settings". Next scroll down to the bottom of the Connection Setup window, and turn off the 2D texture compression AND texture 2D MipMap.” – Credit to AnnaShade017 http://starmadedock.net/threads/ann...ts-skin-resources-and-skin-related-work.1805/

I personally leave them on when testing so that I can see what the majority of the people downloading my skins will be seeing when they load them in game.

Step Three: Shading

Copy and paste playertex_shading.png from the resources we gathered earlier and put as the top layer. If using Photoshop you will select the Shading layer and close above that you will see a dropdown menu labeled “normal”. Drop it down and you will see at the top of the list “multiply” select that option and now your shading will be applied in a much more useful manner. Also do this with the helmet texture and its accompanying shader playerhelm_shading.png. Shading Normal.jpg + Shading Multiply.jpg = Shading Everywhere.jpg

Step Four: Start Drawing And Colouring!

Now it’s just like kindergarten, draw some lines, colour inside lines, rinse and repeat ;)

Make sure you have a layer for drawing outlines and/or making reference notes that is somewhere near the top. Have layers for different colours, parts of the body, etc. Be sure to have playertex_template.png as the lowest layer.
    Colouring.jpg
    Colouring Helm.jpg

Continued in next post.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Step Five: Presentation!

Download a fun futuristic font, photoshop your skins in place onto a cool background that you screen shot from within the game (often I will build a specific set for the character). Add explosions, lazors and more!
    Presentation.jpg

Step Six: Create a Content Icon

Now we need to make an icon so people can see at a glance what they are downloading. So go ahead and create a new document with the pixel height and width of 96 (make sure its 96!). Then slap in whatever pic you want of your character and scale it correctly. Usually headshots work wonders.
    Icon.jpg Icon 2.jpg

Step Seven: Uploading…

Do a final check, and load all your files into StarMade just like the above instructions for the testing phase. When you load them in using the “create custom skin” option it combines all the files into one .smkin file automatically which can then be used to load the final skin much easier. The only things you need to keep in the folder then is the 1. 2. 3. and 4. files and the .smskin file (It is not recommended that you include more files, it makes the download bigger for others).

Then use 7zip, winrar, or whatever you use to make folders into .zips to compress your package… erm, folder :P Load up the StarMade site, login, go to Community Content, Skins, and then press the blue-green button that says “Add Content”.
    uploading.jpg

Fill in the blanks, upload your content…
    Uploading 2.jpg

Make sure to click “Upload Images” to put up that presentation piece that you made earlier, and most importantly make sure to hit the “Upload content icon” checkbox, you will be given the option to upload the content icon you made earlier as well.
    Uploading 3.jpg

Then hit Preview to make sure it looks right, and save! Then all you have to do is wait for the Dev’s to approve it and off you go!

Congratulations at this point you have successfully made your first skin!

This Skinning Tutorial has been created by Boba Fett, “The Galaxy’s Number One Bounty Hunter!”

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    even tho i know how all this stuff works,it was fun to read all this :) this is amazing,great job!

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Nicely done, very thorough and a good skin as well. I would also like to emphasize the "Testing" phase, even if you aren't close to being done if you have any concerns about a particular area you'll want to view it on the model, otherwise a small error may turn into a big chore to fix later on.

In addition.......

Try Gimp, Paint.net, or Photoshop.
    If any of you use Paint....I will look for you....I will find you..........and I will make you use something better.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Nicely done, very thorough and a good skin as well. I would also like to emphasize the "Testing" phase, even if you aren't close to being done if you have any concerns about a particular area you'll want to view it on the model, otherwise a small error may turn into a big chore to fix later on.

If any of you use Paint....I will look for you....I will find you..........and I will make you use something better.
    I agree, the Testing phase is sort of a phase that stretches throughout the whole process, otherwise you get awkward lines across a guys face or something and you don't even realize it! :P
    Also Paint... yeah, its sad, don't actually use it. Ever.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I agree, the Testing phase is sort of a phase that stretches throughout the whole process, otherwise you get awkward lines across a guys face or something and you don't even realize it! :p
    Also Paint... yeah, its sad, don't actually use it. Ever.
    ^This guy....I like this guy. lol You know your stuff AND you know paint is the worst program ever created. haha Have you done game development before? Or just a graphic artist with 3D/texturing experience? I know from your layer stack alone that you know your way around PS. Although you don't seem to use layer masks much, masks are your friend. ;) haha

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ^This guy....I like this guy. lol You know your stuff AND you know paint is the worst program ever created. haha Have you done game development before? Or just a graphic artist with 3D/texturing experience? I know from your layer stack alone that you know your way around PS. Although you don't seem to use layer masks much, masks are your friend. ;) haha
    Just dipped my fingers into game dev, coded a bit in highschool, definitely a graphic artist however, started on an ipod... then realized there was much more to the world out there and promptly got myself a drawing tablet :) For masks, they are a lifesaver, but I felt I didn't need em for the tutorial, that way if someone inexperienced were to look at the examples they could follow along easily :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The Rebel Pilots are now available to download after a period of waiting for approval of the skin. Preview and download them here!

Reaction score
    I seem to have a problem here. I have the emissions images for both completely black, because I dont want there to be any glow, (Atleast not till i figure out this problem) But when I put the skin in game it makes it REALLY dark, almost like the black isnt "invisible" but rather being layered over My skin making it too dark to see. Ideas?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I seem to have a problem here. I have the emissions images for both completely black, because I dont want there to be any glow, (Atleast not till i figure out this problem) But when I put the skin in game it makes it REALLY dark, almost like the black isnt "invisible" but rather being layered over My skin making it too dark to see. Ideas?
    Send me your files and I'll take a look!

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Is there a default Emission template file? Or do I just go and make my own based on the Skin?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is there a default Emission template file? Or do I just go and make my own based on the Skin?
    There is no default, however making your own is quite simple typically. Since the emission layer technically only tells the difference between shades you can simply copy the lights from your suit onto a black background and apply some blur or adjustments as needed :)

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    There is no default, however making your own is quite simple typically. Since the emission layer technically only tells the difference between shades you can simply copy the lights from your suit onto a black background and apply some blur or adjustments as needed :)
    I get it now. Thanks for your help.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I followed this tutorial, but I'm having only one problem - When I apply the helmet's shading, it works fine on solid parts, but the "glass area" loses all transparency. What am I doing wrong ?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sorry for the late reply, back to homework and classes again. I find that any time I am doing helmets with transparencies I like to do my own personal shading layer, or modify the original - transparencies are too easily messed up when lots of the time they can look just fine without shading.
    I cannot say specifically what you are doing wrong, but try checking out my skins with transparent shading and comparing: Rebel Pilots (a good example where the helmet works as planned), The Jedi Collection (a hood style, with a different method of shading), and Ze Goatyr Uniform (an example of quickly put together helmet that has some flaws).
    If you have further questions I will do my best to help figure it out with you :)