StarMade 0.163 Bugfixes, Shield beams, Tutorials

Reaction score
    Sweet, shield supply beams! You have a typo in the first section about them, its easy enough to assume you mean they supply/drain shields, not power :)

This sounds pretty awesome though, nice update! Now we're just dying for the new travel things that were teased to us :D

Thanks for your hard work, we love you.
    - Community

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Sweet, shield supply beams! You have a typo in the first section about them, its easy enough to assume you mean they supply/drain shields, not power :)

This sounds pretty awesome though, nice update! Now we're just dying for the new travel things that were teased to us :D

Thanks for your hard work, we love you.
    - Community
    Whoops that you :)

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Whats the difference between Shield drain and Ion? I would think it best if there was only a shield and energy supply beam as to prevent repetition in the function of blocks. I do get that shield drain gives you the enemies shields but now the Ion effect sounds useless for the most part.

Reactions: AdmiralGialAckbar00

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Schema best dev in the universe ( and all the others void system :p ) <3

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I meant the one that could make overdrive + beams/cannons really OP(sustainable 1.8mil DPS on a 12k mass ship)
    But after reading the tracker i think it's fixed

Reaction score
    ...I know precisely what I am building now. Also, missile craters were smaller than they are supposed to be? Wow. Thanks for all the hard work, guys!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Good update, the Shield/Weapons addition is welcome and the "bug" hunting was exellent, the effort is noticed and rewarded with our gratitude.
    Kudos!

Reaction score
    The shield transfer beam is an excellent idea, but IMO it should only be usable as a defensive support feature - transferring shield power from one allied ship to another. We already have Ion effect to hurt shields, no need to add something that will pretty much make Ion offensive effect obsolete.

You can't put in two things that do the same thing, people will use whichever is the most powerful and the other will be forgotten.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I meant the one that could make overdrive + beams/cannons really OP(sustainable 1.8mil DPS on a 12k mass ship)
    But after reading the tracker i think it's fixed
    Yep that one is fixed. It also accounted for every effect on cannons. Effects on missiles/beams/pulse increased power consumption instead of damage. http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/728 if you are wondering about details. It seems to be completely fixed now but I have yet to confirm that.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    I'm guessing next update will be implementing the contest stations, working on the new trailer and then finally some FTL foundation?

I personally can't wait for the little surprises we get in between, like the lights and stuff...

Reaction score
    Guiz, guiz
    -fixed planet generation
    -fixed large ship lag

schema you are the most brilliant dev in the world.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    yay the bugs i reported were the biggest ones in this update!

Reaction score
    The shield transfer beam is an excellent idea, but IMO it should only be usable as a defensive support feature - transferring shield power from one allied ship to another. We already have Ion effect to hurt shields, no need to add something that will pretty much make Ion offensive effect obsolete.

You can't put in two things that do the same thing, people will use whichever is the most powerful and the other will be forgotten.
    You've made incorrect assumptions, just as I set the power supply/drain to function differently from the emp effect, the shield supply/drain will function differently from the ion effect. It will have an obvious support role for friendly ships, but it can also be used in an offensive role that does behave differently from the ion effect. Worst case is you simply need not use this if you find its specific usage of little value to you. These system types drain less from their target per block than the purely offensive systems, in exchange for that lower effect, they transfer a % between the target and firing ship, used in the right situations, this provides a tactical function a normal ion or emp can't.

I hope this helps alleviate your concerns.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    You've made incorrect assumptions, just as I set the power supply/drain to function differently from the emp effect, the shield supply/drain will function differently from the ion effect. It will have an obvious support role for friendly ships, but it can also be used in an offensive role that does behave differently from the ion effect. Worst case is you simply need not use this if you find its specific usage of little value to you. These system types drain less from their target per block than the purely offensive systems, in exchange for that lower effect, they transfer a % between the target and firing ship, used in the right situations, this provides a tactical function a normal ion or emp can't.

I hope this helps alleviate your concerns.
    so your saying we need to hook up the shield drain to a clock and fire both that and our Ion weapons for maximum shield damage?