[SOLVED] Getting to the bottom of the 100% loading crash

Reaction score
    Edit: The source has been found. If the title bar of the StarMade window reads "32bit" on a 64bit OS, you have to uninstall Java and install a 64bit JRE from here. If you still are experiencing similar issues, please make your own thread.

It seems that recent version of StarMade introduced a bug that causes the game to crash when reaching 100% loading. The difference to previous crashes of this kind is, that it seems that this time there is no workaround.

What is this thread about?
    The point of this thread is to find a specific Hardware or Software or a combination of both, as well as detailed information (such as game logs) about game internals so we can forward this thing to schema. It is currently my impression that this does only happen in combinations of Windows 8.1, as well as Intel graphics.

So, what was the issue again?
    Step by step:
    1. Start the game using the StarMade-Starter.exe/jar.
    2. A settings window will open, click 'OK'.
    3. A black screen will appear, showing the Schine logo, some advice, and a loading indicator in the top left corner.
    4. As soon as the loading indicator reaches 100%, the game will crash

When should I post here?
    Do not post here for any other issue than the one described above. This thread exists solely for the purpose of solving this one issue.
    You should post here if one of the following applies:
    • You are affected by this issue.
    • You are unaffected by this issue, but you're running Windows 8+.
    • You are unaffected by this issue, but your system has an Intel graphics card.

The above tells me I should post. What do I do now?
    1. Before posting, please make sure your system is up-to-date, and that you have the latest version of your graphics driver installed. Windows users: Do not update your graphics drivers using that Windows tool, but download the latest version from the website of your graphics vendor.
    2. Ensure a predictable game state.
    3. Use this template.
    4. What graphics card are you using? Please do that, it seems to me that the tool linked in the next step is not reliable enough.
      • Windows users: Run dxdiag, click on 'Display' and provide whatever comes after 'Name:" (see here for reference)
      • Linux users (and maybe OS X): Open a terminal, run the following command and copy its output:
        Code:
        lspci | grep VGA
    5. Provide in-depth information about your system.
      • Windows users: Run this tool. Paste the results into your post.
      • OS X users: I need OS X version, hardware model (and more information about your hardware, in case you know how to get it), and I need you to open a terminal and give me the output of the following command:
        Code:
        java -version
      • Linux users: Run the following commands in a terminal and copy their output into your post.
        Code:
        cat /etc/issue
        uname -a
        cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | uniq
        java -version
    6. If you're unaffected by the issue, you're done. Otherwise, please proceed. :)
    7. Provide log files. The relevant file is, relative to your StarMade directory: logs/log.txt.0
      It's a plain text file. On Linux and OS X you should be able to open it just fine. On Windows you can either rename it (extension .txt), or select notepad (or any other text editor) manually. Copy the entire file (CTRL+A, CTRL+C), but do not paste it in your post, use some external site, like pastebin.com (you can set Paste Exposure to Private), and paste it there. Share the link with us.
      The log usually does not contain any sensitive information. If you're concerned about your privacy anyhow, you can send the log to either myself, AndyP or Titansmasher.
    8. This is it, you can submit your post. Thank you very much for your help. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Template (copy it here):
    • Affected: Yes/No
    • Graphics card: <see step 4.>
    • In-depth-info:
      Code:
      <see step 5.>
    • Link to log file: <see step 7.>

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic

• Affected: No
      • Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 3000
      • In-depth-info:
        Code:
        RESULTS:
        Windows version: Windows 7 64-bit ....PASS
        Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
        Memory: 4096MB RAM
        Graphics Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M  ....PASS
        Java version: 64-bit Java 7 ....PASS
      • Link to log file:
    The detection of Intel HD Graphics 3000 by DxDiag, seems a bit odd,
    in fact both are shown in my device manager.
    (Should be a special notebook type video hardware, in 'battery mode' it performs really badly, and seems to switch of hardware acceleration without manually overriding the profile for that mode)

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Graphics card: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    • In-depth-info:
      Code:
      $ cat /etc/issue
      Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)
      Kernel \r on an \m (\l)

$ uname -a
      Linux vader 3.14.5-200.fc20.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 2 14:26:34 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | uniq
      model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
      $ java -version
      java version "1.7.0_55"
      OpenJDK Runtime Environment (fedora-2.4.7.4.fc20-x86_64 u55-b13)
      OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

Reaction score
    • Affected: Yes
    • Windows Version: 8.1 64 bit
    • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
      • Affected: Yes/No
      • Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT 620
      • In-depth-info:
        Code:
        java version "1.7.0_55"
        Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_55-b14)
        Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.55-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Affected:No
    • Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
    • In-depth-info:
      Code:
      RESULTS:  
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz  
      Memory: 16384MB RAM  
      Graphics Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series ....PASS  

Reaction score
    • Windows 8.1 64 bit
    • Graphics card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    • In-depth-info:
      Code (Text):

Test 1 of 3: Windows version detection.
      Windows 8.1 detected!
      64 bit version detected
      Test 2 of 3: Hardware detection
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz...
      Memory: 8192MB RAM...
      You have a graphics card that this tool is not familiar with (or the tool is cur
      rently screwed up.... :( ).
      Card model: Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
      To find out if it can run StarMade, google the name. If it supports OpenGL 2.1 o
      r higher, you are probably good to go.In either case, you should report this to fire219 on the StarMade site.
      Test 3 of 3: Java version
      Yay! You have a 64-bit version of Java 7! Starmade can run!

• Link to log file:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    :O
    So uhh, having old versions of Java...that are hiding underneath your updated version. Apparently they explode and nuke your StarMade!
    A friend of mine helped me figure it out! It works! And I apologize for posting in the 'wrong area'
    I'm a scrub to forums XD
    Since my post got deleted with the recent forum rollback, but appeared to be potentially helpful, I'll go ahead and summarize it here again for the benefit of others~ I managed to help Riku here find a workaround for this very problem! He has a computer with both Windows 8.1 64-bit, and Intel HD graphics, but after doing some detective work around the forums and looking at all of the cases with people that have this same issue, I noticed that, while most have both Win 8.1 64-bit and Intel graphics, at least one person had Win 8.1 64-bit but not Intel graphics, leading me to believe that the common factor was Windows 8.1 64-bit, and not both or Intel graphics, so I took a look at Riku's latest hs_err_pidXXX.log file (available here) on a hunch. I noticed that his StarMade seemed to be trying to access an incorrect version of Java for some reason, and this was apparently causing problems (I'm unsure of precisely what the issue was). In the end, doing a complete uninstall of all Java versions on his computer and then a fresh install of the latest build of the 64-bit Java 7 JRE worked like a charm and fixed the issue. I hope this helps! ^.=.^

Edit:

Also, for the sake of science, so to speak, I'll re-add my computer's info in this post, too:

• Graphics card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    • In-depth-info:
      Code:
      Starmade System Checker Report  
      Fri 06/13/2014  
      17:20:14.20  

RESULTS:  
      Windows version: Windows 7 32-bit ....PASS    
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.1GHz  
      Memory: 4096MB RAM  
      Graphics Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 ....PASS  
      Java version: 32-bit Java 7 ....PASS

Last edited:
    Reactions: der_scheme
    Reaction score
    • Graphics card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    • In-depth-info:
      Code:
      15/06/2014  
      21:18:19.75  

RESULTS:  
      Windows version: Windows 8.1 64-bit ....PASS    
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz  
      Memory: 6144MB RAM  
      Graphics Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family ....UNKNOWN  
    • Link to log file: http://pastebin.com/z4EYVWdc

Reaction score
    RoyalWolf: Could you please try the solution posted by DragonSoulSong? Remove all versions of Java, download the 64bit JRE of Java 7 for Windows 8.1 from the Oracle website and install that.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Hello i may have found out the reason for the 100% crash as well as the Intel graphics card problem. One word Shaders i use to play this game a lot, but about 6 months ago their was a big graphics update which after i installed crashed at the 100% mark ever sense thin. And what you say was in that update? Shaders. After a while of trying to solve it, reading all the post on how or what to do and nothing worked. So i moved on. But recently i was looking at a Minecraft mods and found a Shader mod, interested i checked it out. Upon reading the installation part it said that Intel graphics card makes the game crash if they are not updated to the most recent version, related to this problem, i made the conclusion that the Shaders update is the sole reason why the game crash's at the 100% mark for Intel users. So what to do? If you could possibly create a test game of the current version with out the Shaders (if you are able to take them out) and let someone with the problem try to run the game and see if it fix's the problem.

Reaction score
    Hello i may have found out the reason for the 100% crash as well as the Intel graphics card problem. One word Shaders i use to play this game a lot, but about 6 months ago their was a big graphics update which after i installed crashed at the 100% mark ever sense thin. And what you say was in that update? Shaders. After a while of trying to solve it, reading all the post on how or what to do and nothing worked. So i moved on. But recently i was looking at a Minecraft mods and found a Shader mod, interested i checked it out. Upon reading the installation part it said that Intel graphics card makes the game crash if they are not updated to the most recent version, related to this problem, i made the conclusion that the Shaders update is the sole reason why the game crash's at the 100% mark for Intel users. So what to do? If you could possibly create a test game of the current version with out the Shaders (if you are able to take them out) and let someone with the problem try to run the game and see if it fix's the problem.
    As indicated by DragonSoulSong this is caused by a 32bit Java installation on 64bit systems. For some reason the default installations on Windows 8.1 are sometimes (if not always) broken. The issue is unrelated to Intel graphics, but indeed to shaders (the explosion shader, to be precise).

Reaction score
    As indicated by DragonSoulSong this is caused by a 32bit Java installation on 64bit systems. For some reason the default installations on Windows 8.1 are sometimes (if not always) broken. The issue is unrelated to Intel graphics, but indeed to shaders (the explosion shader, to be precise).
    so what does one do about this

Reaction score
    so what does one do about this
    As also indicated by DragonSoulSong, try this:
    If SM is displaying "32 Bit" in the top bar despite having a 64 bit OS, you have a 32 bit installation of Java. For some reason that does happen very often on Windows 8.*. Remove all installations of Java and download a 64 bit JRE (it shouldn't matter if you're choosing Java 7 or Java 8) from here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Graphics card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    • In-depth-info:
      Code:
      2014-09-15 
      21:05:19.96 

RESULTS: 
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz 
      Graphics Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 ....UNKNOWN 
    • Link to log file: http://pastebin.com/59fyGgcx

I have already tried removing all java and reinstalling it, turning off shaders, and updating the graphics driver.
    My computer just forced an update to windows 8.1 today, in the middle of me building, resulting in me no longer being able to run StarMade. I was able to run it before with Windows 8 though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Affected: Yes
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    In-Depth-Info:
    Mon 15/09/2014
    23:02:16.62

RESULTS:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Graphics Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 ....PASS
    This has been happening for about 6 months now, I've tried everything I can think of to try and fix this but nothing has worked so far. The irritating thing is that no crash report pops up when it crashes, it just closes.

Attachments

Reaction score
    This may or may not be related to the 100% crash, but i have been experiencing the 63% crash. Every time i try to start the game, i get this:
    EOF 1.PNG
    I ran the SM Diagnostic tool and these were my results:
    SMChecker Results.PNG
    Any ideas?

Reaction score
    I just edited the OP, stating that this thread should not be used anymore. It would be best if you guys made your own dedicated threads, because your issues are not related to this particular one (which was the first if it's kind, there are more such crashes now). I need you to provide the file StarMade/logs/log.txt.0.

• Graphics card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    • In-depth-info:
      Code:
      2014-09-15 
      21:05:19.96 

RESULTS: 
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz 
      Graphics Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 ....UNKNOWN 
    • Link to log file: http://pastebin.com/59fyGgcx
    I have already tried removing all java and reinstalling it, turning off shaders, and updating the graphics driver.
    My computer just forced an update to windows 8.1 today, in the middle of me building, resulting in me no longer being able to run StarMade. I was able to run it before with Windows 8 though.
    That log file looks incomplete, are you sure you copied everything?

Affected: Yes
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    In-Depth-Info:

This has been happening for about 6 months now, I've tried everything I can think of to try and fix this but nothing has worked so far. The irritating thing is that no crash report pops up when it crashes, it just closes.
    Sounds exactly like this issue, are you sure you're running 64bit Java? (See the first line in the OP for more info.)

This may or may not be related to the 100% crash, but i have been experiencing the 63% crash. Every time i try to start the game, i get this:
    View attachment 4455
    I ran the SM Diagnostic tool and these were my results:
    View attachment 4456
    Any ideas?
    Not without a log (log.txt.0).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That log file looks incomplete, are you sure you copied everything?
    Yeah, that's everything in the file. What else should be there? Also, it should say 64 bit at the top, right? Because for me it says 32 bit, even though I uninstalled all java and installed only the 64 bit one.
    EDIT: for some reason my computer kept going to the 32 bit download instead of the 64 bit one. I managed to get 64 bit and it works now.

Last edited: