Small Status update

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    A lot of work has been done. So here is the status update (excluding bugs):

• New planets (50% done). I'd like to make some basic changes on how planets are generated, and some core principles, so it's taking a little
    • New block-controller system to check what is connected to what (100% done)
    • Logic Gates (100% done). Being based on the new controller system this new system is now fully functional.
    • New crafting system (10% done). The plan is done, and implementation should be pretty straight forward
    • Particle system (60% done). Most of the basic work is done as well as all the GUI. What is left to implement all the missing modules, and to integrate it into the game.
    • Weapon system (10%) the basic work has been done. What comes next is the implementation of each weapon combination

• Another thing completed: A huge optimization has been done to the physics. Ships that in the past crippled any server now barely make a dent in physics performance.

The combination of a specialized sweep and prune algorithm on a chunk level (on top level that algo was already used forever) will cut down calculations. Also a bugfix in calculating the overlapping area between two structures gave a huge boost.

Overall I think it's a scalability boost of about 75% with big structures. This optimization does also affect small ships, but it mostly is for big ships in the same area.
      This update will reduce lag and the amount of warp-outs for big ships colliding by a lot

thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema

Reaction score
    "Another thing completed: A huge optimization has been done to the physics. Ships that in the past crippled any server now barely make a dent in physics performance."

Very nice indeed!

Reaction score
    im most exited about the performance upgrades than anything else of course every single thing here is amazing but all of it doesn't matter if you cant play the game :P and what I mean with that I have 12gigs of ram dedicated to this game and a AMD eight core 4.4GHZ procceser and a nividia GeForce 760 graphics card and I get 0-10fps in a ship 700m long 200m tall and wide and 100% CPU usage basically unplayable and in the past I got 60+ FPS and 40-60% CPU usage so its nice knowing that issue is going to be fixed in this update and then throw in every single future I could ever want in this game! you can probably tell im really exited for this update :D

After this comes the NPC upgrades I assume?
    pretty sure yes and if not :( I don't approve!

StarMade=best game I have ever played this game is really a dream come true!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: jzimmerman4

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, there is this weird shadow bug with the tetras and pentas, is that being fixed? If not, could you look into it for a few minutes? I would really appreciate it.

Reactions: jzimmerman4
    Reaction score
    "Another thing completed: A huge optimization has been done to the physics. Ships that in the past crippled any server now barely make a dent in physics performance."

hot damn, thats impressive. More of this pl0x.

Reactions: floobadoob
    Reaction score
    im most exited about the performance upgrades than anything else of course every single thing here is amazing but all of it doesn't matter if you cant play the game :p and what I mean with that I have 12gigs of ram dedicated to this game and a AMD eight core 4.4GHZ procceser and a nividia GeForce 760 graphics card and I get 0-10fps in a ship 700m long 200m tall and wide and 100% CPU usage basically unplayable and in the past I got 60+ FPS and 40-60% CPU usage so its nice knowing that issue is going to be fixed in this update and then throw in every single future I could ever want in this game! you can probably tell im really exited for this update :D
    That shouldn't happen. Is it an old blueprint? You might have to wait for the game to finish converting it to the new format, after which it should perform as normal. It can take a while. For a 16 million block super-ship, you might have to leave the game chugging away with the CPU pegged at max for over forty minutes. To ease the process along, try setting the game to windowed, 800x600 and minimum settings, and turn up the memory allocation in the launcher.

Reaction score
    That shouldn't happen. Is it an old blueprint? You might have to wait for the game to finish converting it to the new format, after which it should perform as normal. It can take a while. For a 16 million block super-ship, you might have to leave the game chugging away with the CPU pegged at max for over forty minutes. To ease the process along, try setting the game to windowed, 800x600 and minimum settings, and turn up the memory allocation in the launcher.
    I did that and it still didn't make a difference... I have the same issue with large ships I build with the new format I don't know that's up with that but its annoying me to death

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    I did that and it still didn't make a difference... I have the same issue with large ships I build with the new format I don't know that's up with that but its annoying me to death
    Hmm. That's odd. I've got an Intel Core i7-2600k, 16GB of RAM (8GB allocated to Starmade; higher than that might cause performance issues), and an EVGA GTX 670 FTW 3GB, and I have a stable framerate on a million-block build that I've been working on, even with 256 textures. Have you tried updating to the latest 64-bit version of the Java Runtime Environment after removing every trace of Java from your computer to avoid conflicts? Latest video card drivers?

Reaction score
    Hmm. That's odd. I've got an Intel Core i7-2600k, 16GB of RAM (8GB allocated to Starmade; higher than that might cause performance issues), and an EVGA GTX 670 FTW 3GB, and I have a stable framerate on a million-block build that I've been working on, even with 256 textures. Have you tried updating to the latest 64-bit version of the Java Runtime Environment after removing every trace of Java from your computer to avoid conflicts? Latest video card drivers?
    I get 60+ FPS in ships that go over three million blocks its just ships that are over 7m+ blocks then I have difficulties when before I didn't.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Have any of the turret bugs been looked into? They get un-aligned to the docking module if you enter them from inside your ship and they are destroying other turrets on the mother ship. My ship-to-ship missile turrets wiped out just about every turret on a few of my ships.

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    :) yay I can make a 20 million block ship when this update comes with no lag?

Reaction score
    Have any of the turret bugs been looked into? They get un-aligned to the docking module if you enter them from inside your ship and they are destroying other turrets on the mother ship. My ship-to-ship missile turrets wiped out just about every turret on a few of my ships.
    yeah that bug is incredibly annoying broke a bunch of my W.I.Ps and I thought that the bug would go away when I saved my ship but nope I lost atleast 5 or more W.I.Ps because of that bug. most of them were not very big ships but one of them were over 500 meters long and it spawning in a new turret and docking it in the same place doesn't fix it you have to break and replace the entire docking module to fix it.