Shops vanished!

Reaction score
    While working on a ship I decided to head over to my local shop to grab a part I was missing.

A couple shops are within visual range of my current space station so I was a bit shocked to find that I could not see them. When I called up navigation there were no local shops within range which is quite strange since there are usually 2 or 3. I remembered that one of the shops had a couple of my sons ships nearby so I did a search for them. The search came back that they were located at 0,0,0. I changed sectors only to find 3 stations stacked on top of each other and my sons ships. Also a bunch of asteroids in the area

It looks like the whole sector that the shops were in got moved to 0,0,0. Ships and everything.

The shops were in their normal spots before the 0.14 upgrade. I am pretty sure they were also there after the upgrade but I can't be 100% on that.

I rent a server so I can't give much info on that. Just me and my family on the server so it is not anyone mucking around with things.

Just wanted to post it. Not really a bug that can be tested but I thought someone should know about it. I didn't see any other posts about anything like it.

Also something else that happened when I changed to sector 0,0,0 there were pirates there. None of them ever shot at me although they flew around like they were. And at one point all the ships,shops and asteroids vanished like they were cloaked. Targeting diamonds were there but I could not see them. Shooting or missle explosions made blocks appear. Logging out of the game and logging back on made everything reappear. Never had that happen before either.

Starmade .14, Windows 8.1, Nvidia Geforce 450 with fully updated drivers, java also up to date.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    save the /logs directory before they get overwritten.
    In case you can zip them and send them to me, I should be able to at least find the problem that caused all the shops to move. (Maybe provide one or two shipnames in a sector that had the shop moved, to orientate in the logs.)

The \'invisible\' blocks becoming visible again by shooting at them with a repairbeam or anything else to trigger a blockupdate, were a glitch that happened in 0.136-0.137.
    This was fixed then, so in case you used one of the pre versions and there are still some ships that need to be \'revealed\':
    Exit starmade (also close the launcher), then go to your starmade directory in the subdirectory

/client-database/DATA

and delete all files in it.
    Then connect again.
    This forces your client to re-download every ship you encounter.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Thanks for the reply.

I stopped the server and I will zip the log files when I get home later this evening.

As to the invisible blocks/ships everything was visible when I first got the to the sector after starting to fight the pirates everything vanished except for the targeting diamonds.

I never had version .136-0.137 installed. But I did end up with version 0.107 installed without my permission by the previous server provider I had. I wonder if that had anything to do with the sectors moving.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Oh yes 0.107 was a bit unstable too.
    Never got any issues with shops in it, but I converted through every single pre-version step by step with the testserver, so maybe there was a \'unlucky\' conversion.
    But logs may help clearing that.

- Andy

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    So far, all seems fine.

Only found this:

[2014-03-20 04:06:19] [DATABASE] UPDATING SECTOR: (-2, 0, -1) trans: true
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] java.sql.SQLDataException: data exception: string data, right truncation; table: SECTORS_ITEMS column: ITEMS
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCPreparedStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at org.schema.game.common.controller.database.DatabaseIndex.a(SourceFile:450)
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at org.schema.game.common.controller.database.DatabaseIndex.a(SourceFile:1664)
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at tj.run(SourceFile:1673)
    [2014-03-20 04:06:19] at org.schema.schine.network.server.ServerEntityWriterThread.run(SourceFile:47)

There were many of those errors (and similar),
    It may be caused by some sort of hangup on the database, because there was a bunch of this messages telling that writing items went wrong.
    (It may also have happened that the server got \'readonly\' for a few minutes for backups or so.)

But not sure, no real reason why the shops moved. At least not in the log.

In case you need help migrating bases/sectors and/or ships to a new clean universe, just drop a PM, will give you a detailed description on it, then. =)

- Andy