Ship Tracking Bacon

Reaction score
    Block that makes it harder to lose your faction's own ships.

Placed on a ship and used, it'd be entered into your faction as one (of a limited number) of the ships you're tracking.
    Any faction member can then click on the tracked ship in the menu to find it's last known sector on their map, making it easier to find ships that got tossed out into space, that you lent to people, etc.

Would probably require an antenna array. Could also possibly be just a feature of the faction module.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ship tracking bacon? I wonder what that tastes like.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You wouldn't even need the tracking function. Usually you can track a ship with the Tracking Bacon on it by the fact that whatever system it's in lags like hell because of all the people chasing after it trying to get the bacon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'd probably just eat the bacon and lose the ship anyway...

In all seriousness, this sounds like a reasonable way to keep track of important ships.

Reaction score
    My only concern is that something like this has a very vague use. So you can put lo-jack on your ship. So what are all the possible uses and what are the limitations? Plus is it really solving a problem in the game, or is it just simplifying poor inventory management for players?

Uses:
    • Find lost ships
    • Find stolen ships
    • Find who has your ship
    • Verify if ship has been destroyed
    Limitations:
    • Number of tracked ships by ______? (Faction, player, server?)
    • Range of system?
    • Any counter systems beyond hacking out the very hard to find block? (I don't think players will place this block in the open with a sign on it)
    • Details it provides? (Maybe gives player pilot name, location, and faction)
    I am still curious if this solves a game issue, or is it just solving the gaming players issue? I suspect this is just solving the players issue of managing a fleet and brings very little actually gaming value to the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well, it certainly solves the issue of being disconnected from the server while travelling at 300 mps, and never finding the ship again because it floated off to gods-knows-where before you could reconnect. Or losing a ship that should have been perfectly immobile, in a nice safe spot, where nobody could possibly have known where to look for you, and you were only in the next sector over. Those have both happened to me on the ElwynEternity server.