New StarMade launcher v12 test release

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Its nice to see you around Schema, then if and when you can, could you share more about the universe update plans?

Reaction score
    I got a malware warning the first time, but looks great!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Other than being able to manage multiple Installations at once, I am thinking of being able to select which install you want to use from a dropdown, it is perfect.

Reaction score
    Will the launcher download the latest version into the folder it is in, like the old one did, or will I have to redo all my shell scripts?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't think it would be a wise idea to make the dev builds only accessible to official testers. I heard it quite a few times that the number of testers is at an all-time low ever since the first public release.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The number of testers is only low because there is now requirements to be a tester. The testersare how ever working really well now, its just no longer anyone with a forums account can be one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dev builds only for official testers? It will now be extremly boring to wait for next UpDate :(

Reaction score
    The answers to some of these questions and requests can be found in the news thread. Schema provided a link at the top.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Dev builds only for official testers? It will now be extremly boring to wait for next UpDate :(
    Understood/agreed completely. Even as someone who is designated as an official Bug Reporter (kind of a lower-ranked Tester who doesn't get test server admin powers or tester rights on the bug tracker, but who has access to the builds) I'm not looking forward to this change at all. While it will reduce the amount of "how i do dis [unimplemented thing]"/"skooma y lazorz no work plz fix :(:(:( " noobs, somehow I feel like the detrimental effects outweigh the benefits. Not all intelligent people have the time to be a proper Tester, but could still find something that none of us saw. Furthermore, as a non-tester it was fun to try and hunt down new features (and strange bugs - sometimes even more fun!) in each dev build, which was what kept up my interest in the game throughout the looong wait period between the first working logic system "release" (The April 13th build, I think) and the actual update a few months later, and also during the times when I don't have anything to do and no inspiration to build.

Anyway, rant aside, I'm loving this launcher. It makes things so much easier, and even looks a lot better. (Also. News panel is back. Yay.)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Understood/agreed completely. -snip-
    I agree. I mean, take a look at Minecraft, which this was inspired by. Even with an enormous community and undoubtedly an innumerable number of people who would qualify as "testers," they release pre-releases and snapshots so people can have fun with those and find bugs. No doubt there are literally thousands (or at least hundreds) of bugs and quirks that would not have been found before release unless people had the "dev builds," if you will. Not only is it more fun for us, seeing new things and being able to help find and track down bugs, but it also takes a load off the official testers who have to take time that could otherwise be used for other things. Even if we as a community only get a hold of every third, fourth, or seventh dev build (when things might be a bit more stable), I think that's better than nothing but sneak previews and teasers from those who have access. I could live with nothing until release (those who play dwarf fortress for a long enough time will learn patience) but it's so much better if development versions are publicly available imo. (You could make it so anyone who's actually bought the game gets access and so many of the free-loading noobs can't complain about bugs in dev builds)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree. I mean, take a look at Minecraft, which this was inspired by. Even with an enormous community and undoubtedly an innumerable number of people who would qualify as "testers," they release pre-releases and snapshots so people can have fun with those and find bugs. No doubt there are literally thousands (or at least hundreds) of bugs and quirks that would not have been found before release unless people had the "dev builds," if you will. Not only is it more fun for us, seeing new things and being able to help find and track down bugs, but it also takes a load off the official testers who have to take time that could otherwise be used for other things. Even if we as a community only get a hold of every third, fourth, or seventh dev build (when things might be a bit more stable), I think that's better than nothing but sneak previews and teasers from those who have access. I could live with nothing until release (those who play dwarf fortress for a long enough time will learn patience) but it's so much better if development versions are publicly available imo.
    Agreed... By the way, though, the Pre-Build release channel will be public, at least to buyers.
    (You could make it so anyone who's actually bought the game gets access and so many of the free-loading noobs can't complain about bugs in dev builds)
    Makes sense. It also creates a non-intrusive incentive to actually buy the game, which is really needed IMO.