Building a better classification scheme

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm trying to create a universal ship classification scheme. I do not mean frigate vs battleship. I'm more interested in the overall trends that are showing up. I'm doing this by collecting information on ships from the Community content.Lots of the ships posted do not share all their information, so I need your help. I'm largely curious as to what people are building that they use for PvP. My reason for doing this is because the mass of a ship doesn't actually tell you much. There is very little information held in the mass. DPS, volume, Shield and energy capacity all have roles to play, and some ships may be better suited for different tasks. My method should show differences in similar massed ships suited to different tasks. for example 1000 mass ship with lots of shields and thrusters to run blockades will show up differently than a 1000 mass ship designed for search and destroy. Information like this could be used to choose smarter engagements and what designs work best.

If you would please post your ships specs in the comments I'll post my findings as soon as I have a statistically significant number of ships. I need all shapes and sizes. I'm looking for the most effective design for fighters and for capital ships. Please post in the following format. Do not use # of blocks.

Mass: ????
    Energy Regen(e/sec): ????
    Energy Storage: ????
    Sheilds: ????
    Shield Regen(s/sec): ????
    AMC DPS: ????
    AMC Range: ????
    Missile DPS: ????
    Thrust: ????
    Volume: (LxWxH)=????
    cloaking: Y/N
    jamming: Y/N

For the DPS counter please use the maximum sustainable DPS. Your ship may have turrets that auto fire, so add them to the DPS.

I've already started some and there are some clear trends, but I'm not ready to yet "publish" any results. Below is the work I've done so far. Not everybody quotes the stats for all all their ships so some points are missing, yet some interesting trends are showing up.

DPS per Mass.png Energy Per Sec.png Shields per Mass.png Shields per Energy Regen.png

For an example of what I want to do. Look up the HR diagram that astronomers use to classify stars. I think there will be something similar in starmade. There should be clear groupings that show how people design and build ships.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Percussor-Eudora-WIV - Fighter: Mass 111, energy regen: 38.2k, energy storage: 20k, shields: 13.4k, shield regen: 1118, AMC dps: 4.1k, amc range: 505, bb missiles 3x 200dmg/63s dps, thrust: 1140, volume: 28x6x19. no cloaking/jamming
    Legatus-Eudora-WIII - Utility: mass 998, energy regen: 125k, energy storage: 33.8k, 4x turrets each with 843dps and 460 range, thrust: 4.7k , volume: 17x29,37, no cloaking no jamming

Reactions: Neon_42
    Reaction score
    USS. Candlebright
    Mass: 1721.9
    Energy Regen(e/sec): 708.5k
    Energy Storage: 20.0k
    Shields: 221k
    Shield Regen(s/sec): 7.5k
    AMC DPS: 10.9k
    AMC Range: 1.1k
    Missle DPS:
    - D1000: 28.8 dps
    - SD-BB: 65.3 dps
    Thrust: 2.3k
    Volume: (LxWxH)= 96x26x27
    cloaking: N

She's an old ship with so so design. I'll upload to you data on more ships once I'm able to.

Reactions: Neon_42
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thanks to the two of you who have replied so far. I'm doing my best to get the information for myself. People on Reddit seem to think this is a bad Idea, but I'll be sure to let you know what I find. There seems to be a optimal build in shields vs mass. I'll do some fitting once I have a sutible sample size and I'll post the numbers.

Reaction score
    Thanks to the two of you who have replied so far. I'm doing my best to get the information for myself. People on Reddit seem to think this is a bad Idea, but I'll be sure to let you know what I find. There seems to be a optimal build in shields vs mass. I'll do some fitting once I have a sutible sample size and I'll post the numbers.
    I think this is interesting, did you go anywhere with this? What were your results?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've been very slowly collecting enough data to draw any sort of meaningful conclusions. The problem I'm mostly having is that people do not report all the information I'd like. I'd like some where close to at leas 100 ships as a sample. At the moment I'm at about 40 and that is with incomplete information. I'll try and puts omething together with the data I have, but I doubt it will be conclusive.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd love to keep doing this, but with the newest update the point seems kinda moot. The balance is constantly being changed which means I can no longer acquire accurate data. When the balance settles for a while I'll pick it up again.