Boarding Dave

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dave's new Boarding Suit is perfect for personal combat tasks, especially boarding other ships! It will keep him alive in the most dangerous situations, and will not protect him from anything between lasers and space itself!* It even comes with Purple Stuff!**

*Recieving multiple hits from lasers MAY short circuit suit. Also, only has enough oxygen to keep Dave alive for 5 hours.

**No one knows what Purple Stuff actually is.

Download: http://starmadedock.net/content/boarding-dave.168/

To do:
    • Possibly change visor height

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Looks awesome! I love all the little details, especially the purple; and the front and back look fantastic! Nice work! :D

Reactions: Saxopi
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    And if I may say, I would HIGHLY suggest making a skin to go with this. It's an awesome, beautiful concept and I'd love to see that pursued. (Whenever you get around to it, I noticed you did mention about perhaps making one)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Decided to go ahead and make main skin, pics in main post. Not finished yet.

Reaction score
    hmm do you think you could change the texture of the fabactor thing too?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    hmm do you think you could change the texture of the fabactor thing too?
    It's possible, and I did think about it. You have to overwrite the files as opposed to loading them as a "Skin" so I don't think it would show up on multiplayer, but it can be done.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I finished the skin, pics will be up soon.
    One thing I noticed is that the the visor doesn't line up with Dave's eyes, something that slipped through. I might fix it up, but I don't want to mess it up either so I might just leave it.
    Other than that, I'll upload it to the Community Content area and post the link to that soon :)

[EDIT] Scratch that, I've found I haven't lined up the arms properly. Upload might be a little delayed.

[EDIT #2] Fixed up issue, seems I'm still a victim of the terrible "Smudge" virus though :(

Last edited:
    Reactions: AnnaShade017

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Awesome skin!

(Be sure to add bleeds on your texture to avoid those pesky seams at the geometry's edge though!)

Reactions: WolfChild
    Reaction score
    Awesome skin!

(Be sure to add bleeds on your texture to avoid those pesky seams at the geometry's edge though!)
    I really need to do a good, detailed, comprehensive tutorial on skinning, both about what goes where and the concepts that need to be kept in mind while skinning for Dave. Someday. When I can do it well enough to satisfy my perfectionist tendencies.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Bleeds? :oops: Is it bad I don't know what that is?
    Of course not. :p

Imagine the bleed as an overflow, or tolerance zone for the edges of your texture.

When one edge of your models geometry meets the others, their is potential for the alpha or background colour to 'bleed' through the seams.
    To prevent this you can either add a background colour to your texture (usually the most prominent or adjacent colour), or you could continue the texture over the edges by a few pixels.

Here is an arm for our player model. See how the white and yellow don't stop at the edge of each face? This is a method of bleeding, it would prevent the grey background showing up on the edge of our white arms.

The same principle is used in our block textures. Imagine the pink is the main texture body, the black is the outer edge. To stop the white appearing in the seams between faces, we would change the white 'bleed' to grey, like the rock. Or we can continue the design into the bleed. Either would work, but just remember the bleed is not for important texture information, only a buffer colour for your seams.

I hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Of course not. :p

Imagine the bleed as an overflow, or tolerance zone for the edges of your texture.

When one edge of your models geometry meets the others, their is potential for the alpha or background colour to 'bleed' through the seams.
    To prevent this you can either add a background colour to your texture (usually the most prominent or adjacent colour), or you could continue the texture over the edges by a few pixels.

Here is an arm for our player model. See how the white and yellow don't stop at the edge of each face? This is a method of bleeding, it would prevent the grey background showing up on the edge of our white arms.

The same principle is used in our block textures. Imagine the pink is the main texture body, the black is the outer edge. To stop the white appearing in the seams between faces, we would change the white 'bleed' to grey, like the rock. Or we can continue the design into the bleed. Either would work, but just remember the bleed is not for important texture information, only a buffer colour for your seams.

I hope that makes sense!
    Thanks for that. :)

The Grey I used was actually quite similar to the default background colour, so that should be alright. I'll keep this in mind for future skins though. I didn't have a clue about it!

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This might be considered non-kosher, but does anyone have a tool to unpack the skin file, or the source files for this skin?

I really like it, but I'd like it more in red instead of purple (and darken the boots up). I can do that myself if I could get my hands on the base files, save having to ask Wolf to do it for me.